Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Club entrepreneurs in running for national market award
- Credit: Sanctuary Housing
Budding young entrepreneurs who sell their own handmade products on a market stall are in the running for a national award.
The social enterprise group at Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Clubs has been nominated for the National Market Traders’ Federation (NMTF) Young Trader of the Year award.
Each week members of the group sell bath bombs, lip balms, soaps and T-shirts they have made at markets around Hackney.
As well as teaching key business skills like budgeting and stock control, the project highlights the importance of teamwork and good communication.
The winner will be decided at the NMTF’s national youth market on Friday and Saturday in Stratford-upon-Avon, where the youth clubs will trade alongside 26 other businesses run by young people aged 16-30.
You may also want to watch:
Nicolette Nixon, who runs the youth clubs said: “The market project has produced such positive outcomes for our young people, who have grown in confidence and demonstrated great teamwork and professionalism.
“We are very proud of what they have already accomplished and excited to see what they can go on to achieve.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 7 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets