Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Club entrepreneurs in running for national market award
- Credit: Sanctuary Housing
Budding young entrepreneurs who sell their own handmade products on a market stall are in the running for a national award.
The social enterprise group at Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Clubs has been nominated for the National Market Traders’ Federation (NMTF) Young Trader of the Year award.
Each week members of the group sell bath bombs, lip balms, soaps and T-shirts they have made at markets around Hackney.
As well as teaching key business skills like budgeting and stock control, the project highlights the importance of teamwork and good communication.
The winner will be decided at the NMTF’s national youth market on Friday and Saturday in Stratford-upon-Avon, where the youth clubs will trade alongside 26 other businesses run by young people aged 16-30.
You may also want to watch:
Nicolette Nixon, who runs the youth clubs said: “The market project has produced such positive outcomes for our young people, who have grown in confidence and demonstrated great teamwork and professionalism.
“We are very proud of what they have already accomplished and excited to see what they can go on to achieve.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 4 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months