Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Club entrepreneurs in running for national market award
- Credit: Sanctuary Housing
Budding young entrepreneurs who sell their own handmade products on a market stall are in the running for a national award.
The social enterprise group at Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Clubs has been nominated for the National Market Traders’ Federation (NMTF) Young Trader of the Year award.
Each week members of the group sell bath bombs, lip balms, soaps and T-shirts they have made at markets around Hackney.
As well as teaching key business skills like budgeting and stock control, the project highlights the importance of teamwork and good communication.
The winner will be decided at the NMTF’s national youth market on Friday and Saturday in Stratford-upon-Avon, where the youth clubs will trade alongside 26 other businesses run by young people aged 16-30.
You may also want to watch:
Nicolette Nixon, who runs the youth clubs said: “The market project has produced such positive outcomes for our young people, who have grown in confidence and demonstrated great teamwork and professionalism.
“We are very proud of what they have already accomplished and excited to see what they can go on to achieve.”
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12