Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Club entrepreneurs in running for national market award
- Credit: Sanctuary Housing
Budding young entrepreneurs who sell their own handmade products on a market stall are in the running for a national award.
The social enterprise group at Gascoyne and Morningside Youth Clubs has been nominated for the National Market Traders’ Federation (NMTF) Young Trader of the Year award.
Each week members of the group sell bath bombs, lip balms, soaps and T-shirts they have made at markets around Hackney.
As well as teaching key business skills like budgeting and stock control, the project highlights the importance of teamwork and good communication.
The winner will be decided at the NMTF’s national youth market on Friday and Saturday in Stratford-upon-Avon, where the youth clubs will trade alongside 26 other businesses run by young people aged 16-30.
Nicolette Nixon, who runs the youth clubs said: “The market project has produced such positive outcomes for our young people, who have grown in confidence and demonstrated great teamwork and professionalism.
“We are very proud of what they have already accomplished and excited to see what they can go on to achieve.”
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 3 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 4 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 5 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 6 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 9 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 10 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs