Young people in Hackney needed for a film project about dancing
- Credit: Archant
A theatre company is looking for young people to get involved with a film project about dancing.
Immediate Theatre in Tyssen Street, Dalston is searching for youths aged between 12 and 19 years of age for the Don’t Stop the Music project exploring the different types of dancing parents, grandparents and community elders participated in from the 1950s onwards.
Young people will work towards making films which document how their elders engaged with music and dance as teenagers and explore the differences in how different cultures and generations engage socially and culturally with music and dance in the UK.
For example, people from a Guyanese-Caribbean heritage in the 1950s may have attended bring a bottle house parties, extempore calypso contests, blues dances, sound system toasting clashes, dance halls, lockdowns and independence dances.
Completed films will be screened at Hackney Picturehouse in Mare Street, Hackney and DVDs will be distributed to schools and community organisations, to encourage other groups to share experiences with their families and the community.
You may also want to watch:
The Hackney Archives in Dalston CLR James Library, Dalston Square will store memorabilia as well as training the young people to use the Archives for researching.
To get involved, attend a weekly group which meet at Lea View House Community Hall in Jessam Avenue, Clapton on Friday evenings from 5.30pm.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 10 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold