Young stars pick up Hackney Youth Sports Awards
Role of honour for top sporting talent
The borough’s top young sporting talents were honoured at the Hackney Youth Sports Awards 2010 at the Hackney Empire.
Comedian and DJ Kat B hosted the night and sporting heroes, British Olympic bronze medalist Natasha Danvers and Paralympic swimmer Dervis Konuralp, presented prizes.
Lucas Taylor, who is ranked number one tennis player in the country in his age group, was named under 13 Sports Person of the Year.
And cyclist Alex Peters, currently 2nd on the road bike and 4th on the mountain bike in the country in his age group, won under 21 Sports Person of the Year.
You may also want to watch:
Cardinal Pole School in Kenworthy Road, Homerton, picked up the London Youth Games Challenge Award and the school’s weight lighting coach George Manners won Coach of the Year after his team finished first at the London Youth Games.
Shaun Purcell, head of physical education at Cardinal Pole, said: “Once again some of the achievements were great from kids across a range of activities and schools.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 9 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
The under 11 Team of The Year award went to Hackney Mini Tennis Team and the under 18 Team of The Year went to Hackney Community College Boys Basketball Team for winning the National League Title.
The remaining winners were as follows:
Career Achievement Award - Brenda Sullivan
Outstanding Contribution to the London Youth Games - Fe Keown
Outstanding Contribution Team Contribution to the London Youth Games - Hackney Boys Football Team.
Primary Schools Participation Award - Jubilee Primary School.
The Young Leaders Award - Eniola Adelin, Wackesha Alexander, Roxanne Hinds, Yolanda Lear
Young Volunteer Award - Siobhan Forde
Inclusion Award - Jill Danskin.
Hackney Personal Best Healthy school Award - Our Lady & St Josephs RC Primary School.
Personal Best Healthy School Award - Whitmore Primary School.
The Mayor’s Award for Services to Sport in Hackney - Phil Hayfield.