Youth group to launch in Hackney to give youngsters a voice
- Credit: Archant
MP Meg Hillier has backed a new project to support young people, appearing at its launch last week in Hoxton.
Pacesetters celebrated their premier at St Luke’s Church, in Hoxton Street on September 27 with entertainment and games.
The group was named after its aim to inspire youngsters between 11 to 19 years old to be positive role models in their community.
One of the project’s highlights is to form a community gospel choir supported and coached by the Christ Apostolic Church’s Reapers Choir who were featured on BBC’s Songs of Praise last Sunday.
Pacesetters aim to work directly with young people and their families to enrich their lives at home and outside through activities spanning media, sports, music and social education workshops.
You may also want to watch:
Through this the group hopes to reach NEETs and vulnerable members of society and reduce social inequality.
Group coordinator Simeon Atoza, said: “Getting the message right is the first point of effective communication and so getting the views of young people is essential. We need to be sure we are doing the right things at the right times for the right people.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Shocked woman finds bugs in unopened Lidl Paprika Jar
- 4 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 5 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 6 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 9 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 10 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
“We will serve as a point for young people to promote their views and issues in a way which is constructive and positive.
“We will hold youth forums also work with other youth agencies and the local council to increase young people’s involvement.”