Youth project tackling gang turf wars is hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
A project to tackle postcode wars among gangs has proved a success with young people who took part over the half-term break last month.
Around 64 young people from Hackney and three neighbouring London boroughs attended the Our Endzz project at the Cr8 lifestyle centre in Eastway, Hackney Wick.
The week-long programme aimed to break down barriers through football and help young people create a better understanding about themselves and their future goals through mentoring.
Highlights for young people included improving their football skills and playing against professional football academies in a safe environment.
Jamil Nadmi, 26, director of GlowBall and one of the project organisers, said: “We were bringing gang members, ex-gang members and members of the community together to help support each other.
You may also want to watch:
“We tried to make them realise how important they are to the community and of how important education is.
“We want to keep them as positive as possible.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
Hackney Cllr Michael Desmond attended a celebration event on the last day where all participants received a certificate.
The project was funded, organised and staffed by sports development company All Stars Sports in Eastway, football organisation GlowBall in Eastway and the mentoring charity Crying Suns Trust in St John Street, Finsbury.