Zero-waste Broadway Market company Haeckles offers solution to leftover Christmas trees
- Credit: Archant
Millions of Christmas trees end up in landfill each year, but one cosmetics company have come up with a fragrant solution.
For £45, Haeckles on Broadway Market will turn your Christmas tree into a scented candleareis turning leftover Christmas trees into personalised scented candles in an effort to reduce waste over the holidays.
Over 100 trees will be taken to the Haeckles lab in Margate and "up-cycled".
The pine needles will be distilled and used to make the scented candles and the leftover wood will be used as fuel for Haeckles beachwood-burning sauna in Margate.
In keeping with the companies circular economy philosophy, each candle comes in mushroom packaging that grows when planted.
You may also want to watch:
Charlie Vickery, 27, of Haeckles, said the response fhas been "overwhelming".
"Never in our wildest dreams could we have predicted this", he said.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers