Allardyce Exclusive: New West Ham boss discusses transfer rumours
Hammers boss doesn’t believe much business will be done before July
No offers have been made and none have been received for any players, according to new West Ham boss Sam Allardyce.
The Hammers were relegated after defeat at Wigan in their penultimate fixture of the season and subsequently the likes of Scott Parker, Demba Ba and Thomas Hitzlsperger have been linked with moves away from Upton Park.
The former Blackburn boss was announced as the replacement for Avram Grant last Tuesday and although he is currently away in Spain he claims there is little chance offers will be made before pre-season starts on July 1st.
“There has been a lot of speculation about players coming in or leaving the club, but I’m not aware of any bids,” he exclusively told the East London Advertiser.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s quiet this time of the year because everybody, like myself is on holiday and things start up again in July. At the moment transfer activity is at a minimum. There are no positions I am thinking about improving at the moment and I will make those decisions during pre-season.
Joe Lewis, Alan Smith, El Hadj Diouf and even Joe Cole have been linked with a move to Upton Park, but the boss denied any enquiries had been made.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
“No, no and no and I don’t think we could afford Joe Cole,” the boss said.
“Of course one would love Joe Cole because he is an outstanding player but he would be too expensive.”
Jonathan Spector and Danny Gabbidon are still mulling over contract offers at the club, but Allardyce confirmed that striker Zavon Hines had turned down an offer from the club.
“I am aware and yes Zavon has turned down a contract,” he said.
“But that doesn’t mean that is the end of the matter and he will leave the club. As far as I am aware talks are still ongoing and he could stay.”
For all the latest West Ham news, views, interviews, analysis and opinion follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_westham