Allardyce Exclusive: New West Ham boss discusses transfer rumours
Hammers boss doesn’t believe much business will be done before July
No offers have been made and none have been received for any players, according to new West Ham boss Sam Allardyce.
The Hammers were relegated after defeat at Wigan in their penultimate fixture of the season and subsequently the likes of Scott Parker, Demba Ba and Thomas Hitzlsperger have been linked with moves away from Upton Park.
The former Blackburn boss was announced as the replacement for Avram Grant last Tuesday and although he is currently away in Spain he claims there is little chance offers will be made before pre-season starts on July 1st.
“There has been a lot of speculation about players coming in or leaving the club, but I’m not aware of any bids,” he exclusively told the East London Advertiser.
“It’s quiet this time of the year because everybody, like myself is on holiday and things start up again in July. At the moment transfer activity is at a minimum. There are no positions I am thinking about improving at the moment and I will make those decisions during pre-season.
Joe Lewis, Alan Smith, El Hadj Diouf and even Joe Cole have been linked with a move to Upton Park, but the boss denied any enquiries had been made.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 3 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 4 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 5 London among areas where drought is declared
- 6 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 7 'The grim history of London's water supply'
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
“No, no and no and I don’t think we could afford Joe Cole,” the boss said.
“Of course one would love Joe Cole because he is an outstanding player but he would be too expensive.”
Jonathan Spector and Danny Gabbidon are still mulling over contract offers at the club, but Allardyce confirmed that striker Zavon Hines had turned down an offer from the club.
“I am aware and yes Zavon has turned down a contract,” he said.
“But that doesn’t mean that is the end of the matter and he will leave the club. As far as I am aware talks are still ongoing and he could stay.”
For all the latest West Ham news, views, interviews, analysis and opinion follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_westham