Allardyce Exclusive: New West Ham boss discusses transfer rumours
Hammers boss doesn’t believe much business will be done before July
No offers have been made and none have been received for any players, according to new West Ham boss Sam Allardyce.
The Hammers were relegated after defeat at Wigan in their penultimate fixture of the season and subsequently the likes of Scott Parker, Demba Ba and Thomas Hitzlsperger have been linked with moves away from Upton Park.
The former Blackburn boss was announced as the replacement for Avram Grant last Tuesday and although he is currently away in Spain he claims there is little chance offers will be made before pre-season starts on July 1st.
“There has been a lot of speculation about players coming in or leaving the club, but I’m not aware of any bids,” he exclusively told the East London Advertiser.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s quiet this time of the year because everybody, like myself is on holiday and things start up again in July. At the moment transfer activity is at a minimum. There are no positions I am thinking about improving at the moment and I will make those decisions during pre-season.
Joe Lewis, Alan Smith, El Hadj Diouf and even Joe Cole have been linked with a move to Upton Park, but the boss denied any enquiries had been made.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
“No, no and no and I don’t think we could afford Joe Cole,” the boss said.
“Of course one would love Joe Cole because he is an outstanding player but he would be too expensive.”
Jonathan Spector and Danny Gabbidon are still mulling over contract offers at the club, but Allardyce confirmed that striker Zavon Hines had turned down an offer from the club.
“I am aware and yes Zavon has turned down a contract,” he said.
“But that doesn’t mean that is the end of the matter and he will leave the club. As far as I am aware talks are still ongoing and he could stay.”
For all the latest West Ham news, views, interviews, analysis and opinion follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_westham