Anne Keothavong questions her future after US Open exit
PUBLISHED: 08:52 01 September 2010 | UPDATED: 15:21 01 September 2010
Hackney star depressed with her poor form
HACKNEY tennis star Anne Keothavong was left questioning her future in the game after she was knocked out in the first round of the US Open on Tuesday.
The 26-year-old made the third round in 2008 but was beaten by Yung-Jan Chan 2-6, 6-1, 6-1.
The former Kingsland School pupil has struggled since suffering a serious knee injury last year and has failed to get back to her best, which had seen her break into the top 50.
“I’m not the player I was two years ago here,” she said after the match.
“Who knows what’s going to happen after this? I’m going to need time to reassess and decide what I want to do.
“My ranking and my tennis isn’t where I would want it to be, I have higher expectations for myself.”
In the New York heat, Keothavong was on fire in the first set and completely dominated the World number 77 from Chinese Taipei.
Unfortunately she could not build on her impressive start and faded, losing 12 of the 14 games, losing her serve three times in the second set.
Keothavong had to take a medical time out for blisters and failed to recover momentum.
“I played a good first set and was completely dominating and then she changed her tactics and started throwing in the moonballs (slow, defensive, looping shots) and I just didn’t deal with it very well,” said the British number three.
“You either have to be brave and take it on and come forward or step back and be strong and work your way within the point. I got stuck in between and it wasn’t very good.