Arsenal drawn against Champions League holders Barcelona in group stages
- Credit: PA
Arsenal have been drawn against UEFA Women’s Champions League holders FC Barcelona in the group stages of the 2021/22 tournament after the draw was conducted on Monday afternoon.
Barcelona beat Chelsea 4-0 in last seasons final and will be going all out to retain their title this season. The Gunners have also been drawn against Hoffenheim and HB Koge.
This means the Gunners will visit Spain, Germany and Denmark over the course of the group stage campaign.
Arsenal have beaten FC Okzhetpes, PSV Eindhoven and Slavia Prague on the way to the group stage this season before starting the new Women’s Super League season with back to back wins.
Arsenal are the only British team to win the competition in 2006/07 and last time they were in the tournament they lost in the quarter-final to PSG in 2019-20.
You may also want to watch:
This is the first Women's Champions League to have group stages, with previous years seeing the competition start with qualifiers before a round of 32 knockout matches.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust