Borough have two at the English Schools
ON the face of it, the Borough of Hackney wouldn t seem to have any competitors in this weekend s blue riband event in schools sport – the English Schools Athletics Championships at Gateshead tomorrow (Friday) and on Saturday. That s because the London te
ON the face of it, the Borough of Hackney wouldn't seem to have any competitors in this weekend's blue riband event in schools sport - the English Schools Athletics Championships at Gateshead tomorrow (Friday) and on Saturday.
That's because the London team - which is drawn solely from the 13 Inner London boroughs - doesn't contain a single name of a young athlete from a Hackney school.
But the borough will have two representatives at the English Schools, because two Hackney residents attend schools over the border in Islington and are listed under the neighbouring borough.
Both Nathan Hanson, who is just 13 and is a former pupil at Petchey Academy, Shacklewell Lane, Dalston, is in the junior boys 200 metres. He now attends the Islington Arts & Media School.
You may also want to watch:
Among the senior boys is the very highly rated Jordan Aromasodu, who contests the senior boys 400 metres hurdles and is a possible for the European Junior Championships in the next year or so. Although from London Fields, Jordan, 16, is at the Central Foundation Boys School, Islington, just over the Hackney border.
Both boys are members of Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets AC and are two of seven youngsters that the local athletics club have at the championships.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney