Borough have two at the English Schools
ON the face of it, the Borough of Hackney wouldn t seem to have any competitors in this weekend s blue riband event in schools sport – the English Schools Athletics Championships at Gateshead tomorrow (Friday) and on Saturday. That s because the London te
ON the face of it, the Borough of Hackney wouldn't seem to have any competitors in this weekend's blue riband event in schools sport - the English Schools Athletics Championships at Gateshead tomorrow (Friday) and on Saturday.
That's because the London team - which is drawn solely from the 13 Inner London boroughs - doesn't contain a single name of a young athlete from a Hackney school.
But the borough will have two representatives at the English Schools, because two Hackney residents attend schools over the border in Islington and are listed under the neighbouring borough.
Both Nathan Hanson, who is just 13 and is a former pupil at Petchey Academy, Shacklewell Lane, Dalston, is in the junior boys 200 metres. He now attends the Islington Arts & Media School.
Among the senior boys is the very highly rated Jordan Aromasodu, who contests the senior boys 400 metres hurdles and is a possible for the European Junior Championships in the next year or so. Although from London Fields, Jordan, 16, is at the Central Foundation Boys School, Islington, just over the Hackney border.
Both boys are members of Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets AC and are two of seven youngsters that the local athletics club have at the championships.
- 1 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 4 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 5 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 6 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 7 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 8 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 9 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 10 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'