Boxing: Hackney Boxing Academy get first title winner as Jermaine Williams wins London ABA Elite middleweight final
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney Boxing Academy have their first ever champion after Jermaine Williams won the London ABA Elite middleweight title.
Williams took on Joshua Gustave of Fairbairn in the final, which was held at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square.
In a contest where all three rounds were competitive, it was Williams that landed the more effective punches.
The middleweight got plenty of joy with his left jabs and right hands over to top of Gustave’s guard and took the title by a unanimous points decision.
You may also want to watch:
Williams is the first title winner for the Hackney Boxing Academy, who have only been going for a year.
The middleweight now progresses to the national quarter-finals, which take place at the University of East London on April 20.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
If victorious, Williams will then take part in the semi-finals at the same venue the following day, before the final at the iconic York Hall on April 22 in which Williams will hope to compete.