Boxing: Hackney Boxing Academy get first title winner as Jermaine Williams wins London ABA Elite middleweight final
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney Boxing Academy have their first ever champion after Jermaine Williams won the London ABA Elite middleweight title.
Williams took on Joshua Gustave of Fairbairn in the final, which was held at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square.
In a contest where all three rounds were competitive, it was Williams that landed the more effective punches.
The middleweight got plenty of joy with his left jabs and right hands over to top of Gustave’s guard and took the title by a unanimous points decision.
You may also want to watch:
Williams is the first title winner for the Hackney Boxing Academy, who have only been going for a year.
The middleweight now progresses to the national quarter-finals, which take place at the University of East London on April 20.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
If victorious, Williams will then take part in the semi-finals at the same venue the following day, before the final at the iconic York Hall on April 22 in which Williams will hope to compete.