Boxing: Lawrence Okolie and William Webber in action on Matchroom bill this Friday
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Stoke Newington cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie will be looking for win number five on Friday at York Hall on the Matchroom promotion.
Okolie, who has won all four of his professional bouts to date inside the first round, is scheduled to face Cameroon’s Blaise Mendouo.
The 24-year-old was last in the ring in June when he blasted out Derby rival Russ Henshaw with a hard body punch with just two minutes and 10 seconds on the clock.
In Mendouo, Okolie faces an opponent who has won three and lost three of his six professional bouts.
You may also want to watch:
Also on the Matchroom bill is William Webber, who makes his debut against Sonny Whitling.
Webber’s last contest as an amateur was in a Lion ABC vest in London Elite Middleweight final,which he lost to Kelvin Fawaz.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
Webber finished with 34 wins and seven losses in his amateur career, and will want to start life in the paid ranks with a triumph.