Boxing: Lawrence Okolie returns to action on undercard of Anthony Joshua against Carlos Takam fight
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Stoke Newington boxer Lawrence Okolie will fight on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight world title defence against Carlos Takam in Cardiff on Saturday.
Hackney cruiserweight Okolie, who has won all five of his pro fights to date, will face a selected opponent.
• Hackney light-heavyweight Michael Page marked his debut with a third-round stoppage of Spain’s Jonathan Castano on Saturday.
The 30-year-old was fighting on a Hayemarker promotion at Indigo at the O2 and took on an opponent who was having his 16th professional bout.
You may also want to watch:
Page came with his hands low, throwing left jabs and using his reach advantage to force Castano onto the back foot.
In the third round, a right cross by Page landed flush on his opponents’ jaw, sending him to the canvas, with referee Robert Williams stopping the fight soon after.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 8 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Three arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
It was a fine start to his boxing career for Page, who is a world champion in mixed martial arts.