Boxing: Lawrence Okolie returns to action on undercard of Anthony Joshua against Carlos Takam fight
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Stoke Newington boxer Lawrence Okolie will fight on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight world title defence against Carlos Takam in Cardiff on Saturday.
Hackney cruiserweight Okolie, who has won all five of his pro fights to date, will face a selected opponent.
• Hackney light-heavyweight Michael Page marked his debut with a third-round stoppage of Spain’s Jonathan Castano on Saturday.
The 30-year-old was fighting on a Hayemarker promotion at Indigo at the O2 and took on an opponent who was having his 16th professional bout.
You may also want to watch:
Page came with his hands low, throwing left jabs and using his reach advantage to force Castano onto the back foot.
In the third round, a right cross by Page landed flush on his opponents’ jaw, sending him to the canvas, with referee Robert Williams stopping the fight soon after.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
It was a fine start to his boxing career for Page, who is a world champion in mixed martial arts.