Boxing: Lawrence Okolie returns to action on undercard of Anthony Joshua against Carlos Takam fight
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Stoke Newington boxer Lawrence Okolie will fight on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight world title defence against Carlos Takam in Cardiff on Saturday.
Hackney cruiserweight Okolie, who has won all five of his pro fights to date, will face a selected opponent.
• Hackney light-heavyweight Michael Page marked his debut with a third-round stoppage of Spain’s Jonathan Castano on Saturday.
The 30-year-old was fighting on a Hayemarker promotion at Indigo at the O2 and took on an opponent who was having his 16th professional bout.
You may also want to watch:
Page came with his hands low, throwing left jabs and using his reach advantage to force Castano onto the back foot.
In the third round, a right cross by Page landed flush on his opponents’ jaw, sending him to the canvas, with referee Robert Williams stopping the fight soon after.
- 1 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 The "milkmen for beer" now deliver in Hackney
- 7 Met Office yellow warning for rain in London this weekend
- 8 Cinema and live music at All Points East's neighbourhood festival
- 9 Hackney choir billed as London talent to watch
- 10 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
It was a fine start to his boxing career for Page, who is a world champion in mixed martial arts.