Boxing: Lawrence Okolie returns to action on undercard of Anthony Joshua against Carlos Takam fight
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Stoke Newington boxer Lawrence Okolie will fight on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight world title defence against Carlos Takam in Cardiff on Saturday.
Hackney cruiserweight Okolie, who has won all five of his pro fights to date, will face a selected opponent.
• Hackney light-heavyweight Michael Page marked his debut with a third-round stoppage of Spain’s Jonathan Castano on Saturday.
The 30-year-old was fighting on a Hayemarker promotion at Indigo at the O2 and took on an opponent who was having his 16th professional bout.
You may also want to watch:
Page came with his hands low, throwing left jabs and using his reach advantage to force Castano onto the back foot.
In the third round, a right cross by Page landed flush on his opponents’ jaw, sending him to the canvas, with referee Robert Williams stopping the fight soon after.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 7 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
It was a fine start to his boxing career for Page, who is a world champion in mixed martial arts.