Boxing: Lawrence Okolie to fight Commonwealth champion Luke Watkins
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hackney cruiserweight set to return to ring in June
Hackney cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie will fight for the Commonwealth title in his next bout after agreeing a deal to take on current holder Luke Watkins.
At the time of writing, no details about the date or venue have been revealed, but both boxers, as well as Okolie’s promoter Eddie Hearn, confirmed the bout on social media.
In Watkins, Okolie will face a talented rival who is unbeaten in 13 bouts since turning professional in 2014.
Okolie himself will also taking an unbeaten record into the bout, meaning that someone’s zero will have to go.
You may also want to watch:
In his last bout, the 2016 Olympian topped the bill and beat Isaac Chamberlain, who was previously unbeaten, by unanimous decision to win the WBA continental title at The O2 in February
Okolie will hope to add another belt to his list in his next bout as he looks to stop ‘The Duke’ Watkins and become the Commonwealth title holder.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school