Boxing: Lawrence Okolie to fight Commonwealth champion Luke Watkins
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hackney cruiserweight set to return to ring in June
Hackney cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie will fight for the Commonwealth title in his next bout after agreeing a deal to take on current holder Luke Watkins.
At the time of writing, no details about the date or venue have been revealed, but both boxers, as well as Okolie’s promoter Eddie Hearn, confirmed the bout on social media.
In Watkins, Okolie will face a talented rival who is unbeaten in 13 bouts since turning professional in 2014.
Okolie himself will also taking an unbeaten record into the bout, meaning that someone’s zero will have to go.
You may also want to watch:
In his last bout, the 2016 Olympian topped the bill and beat Isaac Chamberlain, who was previously unbeaten, by unanimous decision to win the WBA continental title at The O2 in February
Okolie will hope to add another belt to his list in his next bout as he looks to stop ‘The Duke’ Watkins and become the Commonwealth title holder.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 7 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition