Boxing: Lawrence Okolie to kick off New Year for Hackney professionals
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie will be the first of the borough’s professionals to step into the ring in 2018 when he fights at The O2 on February 3.
The Olympian faces Isaac Chamberlain on a Matchroom show next month, with both putting their unbeaten records on the line.
“At last Chamberlain has signed to fight me and all the negotiations are finished,” said the 25-year-old.
“He has done a lot of talking, now we will see if he can back it up when he faces me inside the ring.”
You may also want to watch:
Okolie is trained by Brian O’Shaughnessy in Hackney, where Chamberlain is under the guidance of James Cook, who runs the Pedro club in Clapton.
With seven wins from seven, Okolie will hope to maintain his perfect record as a pro next month.
- 1 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 The "milkmen for beer" now deliver in Hackney
- 7 Met Office yellow warning for rain in London this weekend
- 8 Cinema and live music at All Points East's neighbourhood festival
- 9 Hackney choir billed as London talent to watch
- 10 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
Homerton super lightweight Ohara Davies was due to fight on the February 3 card, but has since been withdrawn owing to comments made on social media.