Boxing: Lawrence Okolie to kick off New Year for Hackney professionals
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie will be the first of the borough’s professionals to step into the ring in 2018 when he fights at The O2 on February 3.
The Olympian faces Isaac Chamberlain on a Matchroom show next month, with both putting their unbeaten records on the line.
“At last Chamberlain has signed to fight me and all the negotiations are finished,” said the 25-year-old.
“He has done a lot of talking, now we will see if he can back it up when he faces me inside the ring.”
You may also want to watch:
Okolie is trained by Brian O’Shaughnessy in Hackney, where Chamberlain is under the guidance of James Cook, who runs the Pedro club in Clapton.
With seven wins from seven, Okolie will hope to maintain his perfect record as a pro next month.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
Homerton super lightweight Ohara Davies was due to fight on the February 3 card, but has since been withdrawn owing to comments made on social media.