Boxing: Lawrence Okolie to kick off New Year for Hackney professionals
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie will be the first of the borough’s professionals to step into the ring in 2018 when he fights at The O2 on February 3.
The Olympian faces Isaac Chamberlain on a Matchroom show next month, with both putting their unbeaten records on the line.
“At last Chamberlain has signed to fight me and all the negotiations are finished,” said the 25-year-old.
“He has done a lot of talking, now we will see if he can back it up when he faces me inside the ring.”
You may also want to watch:
Okolie is trained by Brian O’Shaughnessy in Hackney, where Chamberlain is under the guidance of James Cook, who runs the Pedro club in Clapton.
With seven wins from seven, Okolie will hope to maintain his perfect record as a pro next month.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
Homerton super lightweight Ohara Davies was due to fight on the February 3 card, but has since been withdrawn owing to comments made on social media.