Boxing: Matthew Chanda to fight for British super-flyweight title
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney super-flyweight Matthew Chanda will face Charlie Edwards for the latter’s British super-flyweight title in September after Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn won the purse bid.
The fight will take place in London, with both boxers having lost just once in their respective professional careers.
Chanda’s sole defeat came on a split decision against Duke Micah for the then vacant Commonwealth bantamweight title in November last year.
Edwards, meanwhile, was beaten by John Riel Casimero of the Philippines when fighting for the IBF world flyweight title in September last year.
You may also want to watch:
No date has been set yet for the bout, which will be an eagerly anticipated fight between two of Britain’s best super-flyweight talents.
When they do step into the ring, both boxers will be desperately looking to avoid the second loss of their respective careers.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
And Chanda will hope that if he able to rip to British title from Edwards’ grasp, it will propel him towards world title fights in the future.
Former Pedro ABC bantanweight Shiloh Defreitas, who started his amateur career at Hackney BC, won gold at the Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas last week.