Davies beats Ofori to advance in Golden Contract Tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ohara Davies came out on top against Jeff Ofori in the Super-Lightweight Golden Contract Tournament semi-final at York Hall on Friday.
Both boxers were born in Hackney and it was Davies who started on top, using his long left jab well to catch his opponent with both head and body shots.
Ofori, who resides in Tottenham, tried to go southpaw to deal with his opponent but soon switched back to orthodox.
With round three almost up, Davies, who has trained across several gyms in Newham, caught Ofori with a right hook to drop him just before the bell rang.
Ofori came back in the fifth when he landed his best shot of the night which shook his opponent but was unable to follow it up.
You may also want to watch:
But Davies won the fight in the sixth round after landing five right hooks to his opponent's head, with referee Kieran McCann stepping in and calling the fight off after one minute and six seconds of the round.
Davies will now face Tyrone McKenna in the final.
- 1 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 9 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday