Davies beats Ofori to advance in Golden Contract Tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ohara Davies came out on top against Jeff Ofori in the Super-Lightweight Golden Contract Tournament semi-final at York Hall on Friday.
Both boxers were born in Hackney and it was Davies who started on top, using his long left jab well to catch his opponent with both head and body shots.
Ofori, who resides in Tottenham, tried to go southpaw to deal with his opponent but soon switched back to orthodox.
With round three almost up, Davies, who has trained across several gyms in Newham, caught Ofori with a right hook to drop him just before the bell rang.
Ofori came back in the fifth when he landed his best shot of the night which shook his opponent but was unable to follow it up.
You may also want to watch:
But Davies won the fight in the sixth round after landing five right hooks to his opponent's head, with referee Kieran McCann stepping in and calling the fight off after one minute and six seconds of the round.
Davies will now face Tyrone McKenna in the final.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift