Davies beats Ofori to advance in Golden Contract Tournament
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ohara Davies came out on top against Jeff Ofori in the Super-Lightweight Golden Contract Tournament semi-final at York Hall on Friday.
Both boxers were born in Hackney and it was Davies who started on top, using his long left jab well to catch his opponent with both head and body shots.
Ofori, who resides in Tottenham, tried to go southpaw to deal with his opponent but soon switched back to orthodox.
With round three almost up, Davies, who has trained across several gyms in Newham, caught Ofori with a right hook to drop him just before the bell rang.
Ofori came back in the fifth when he landed his best shot of the night which shook his opponent but was unable to follow it up.
You may also want to watch:
But Davies won the fight in the sixth round after landing five right hooks to his opponent's head, with referee Kieran McCann stepping in and calling the fight off after one minute and six seconds of the round.
Davies will now face Tyrone McKenna in the final.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 8 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops