Boxing: Success for former Lion amateurs Louis Isaacs and Sam Cox at York Hall
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
There were wins for two former Lion ABC boxers on a Goodwin promotion at York Hall.
Louis Isaacs was making his debut against Anto Nakic of Croatia and enjoyed a fine start to life in the paid ranks.
The 20-year-old produced a short right hook that dropped Nakic in the opening round, but the Croatian fighter got up.
Nakic was brave, looking to stand and trade punches with the hard-hitting Isaacs, but it was the debutant who was given the decision by the referee.
You may also want to watch:
“It was hard going,” said Isaacs. “He was very strong. I spent too much time loading up instead of letting my punches go.
“Having sold 100 tickets, I wanted to please my fans.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 10 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
Bantamweight Sam Cox was the other ex-Lion amateur on the bill and was having his second professional fight against Stefan Sashov of Bulgaria.
Cox, who enjoyed a fine amateur career, was too skilful for his opponent and eventually won on points.
• Ram Singh of Hackney is through to the semi-finals of the National Junior Cadets Championships.
Fighting for Repton, Singh received a bye in the quarter-finals and can now look forward to his bout in the final four.
• Former Lion amateur William Webber has his third professional fight at York Hall on Saturday.
The middleweight, who reached a London final as an amateur, takes on Scott Hillman of Eastbourne on a Hayemaker promotion this weekend.
Webber was beaten on his last outing at York Hall in October, being stopped by rival Eric Nwankwo.
• Hackney-born lightweight Sam Maxwell goes in search of win number six tomorrow night in Liverpool.
The unbeaten 29-year-old, who is a two-time former England national elite champion, fights on a joint promotion between Johnney Roye and MTK.
Maxwell was last in action in October when he stopped Oszkar Fiko in the German city of Oberhausen.
It looks set to be a busy period for the 29-year-old, who is also booked for action at the SSE Arena in Belfast on April 21.