Boxing: Success for former Lion amateurs Louis Isaacs and Sam Cox at York Hall
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
There were wins for two former Lion ABC boxers on a Goodwin promotion at York Hall.
Louis Isaacs was making his debut against Anto Nakic of Croatia and enjoyed a fine start to life in the paid ranks.
The 20-year-old produced a short right hook that dropped Nakic in the opening round, but the Croatian fighter got up.
Nakic was brave, looking to stand and trade punches with the hard-hitting Isaacs, but it was the debutant who was given the decision by the referee.
You may also want to watch:
“It was hard going,” said Isaacs. “He was very strong. I spent too much time loading up instead of letting my punches go.
“Having sold 100 tickets, I wanted to please my fans.”
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
Bantamweight Sam Cox was the other ex-Lion amateur on the bill and was having his second professional fight against Stefan Sashov of Bulgaria.
Cox, who enjoyed a fine amateur career, was too skilful for his opponent and eventually won on points.
• Ram Singh of Hackney is through to the semi-finals of the National Junior Cadets Championships.
Fighting for Repton, Singh received a bye in the quarter-finals and can now look forward to his bout in the final four.
• Former Lion amateur William Webber has his third professional fight at York Hall on Saturday.
The middleweight, who reached a London final as an amateur, takes on Scott Hillman of Eastbourne on a Hayemaker promotion this weekend.
Webber was beaten on his last outing at York Hall in October, being stopped by rival Eric Nwankwo.
• Hackney-born lightweight Sam Maxwell goes in search of win number six tomorrow night in Liverpool.
The unbeaten 29-year-old, who is a two-time former England national elite champion, fights on a joint promotion between Johnney Roye and MTK.
Maxwell was last in action in October when he stopped Oszkar Fiko in the German city of Oberhausen.
It looks set to be a busy period for the 29-year-old, who is also booked for action at the SSE Arena in Belfast on April 21.