Boxing: Viddal Riley begins defence of London Elite title
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney heavyweight Viddal Riley starts the defence of his London Elite title in the quarter-finals on Thursday.
The 20-year-old, who competes for the famous West Ham ABC, will compete in the last eight at the Tottenham Community Sports Centre.
If successful, Riley will progress to the semi-finals, which are held at the same venue the following day.
The final itself takes place at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square on March 29, with a 7pm start.
You may also want to watch:
Riley reached the National Elite semi-finals last year, having won the National Schools and Junior title.
The 20-year-old old also previously won a silver medal at the European Junior Championships.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
So far this season, Riley has won the Boys’ & Girls’ Club Championship 91kg title and has recently returned from a spell training at Floyd Mayweather’s Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas.
Riley will hope those sessions will help him in his bid to defend his title.