Boxing: Viddal Riley begins defence of London Elite title
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest news from the local boxing scene
Hackney heavyweight Viddal Riley starts the defence of his London Elite title in the quarter-finals on Thursday.
The 20-year-old, who competes for the famous West Ham ABC, will compete in the last eight at the Tottenham Community Sports Centre.
If successful, Riley will progress to the semi-finals, which are held at the same venue the following day.
The final itself takes place at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square on March 29, with a 7pm start.
You may also want to watch:
Riley reached the National Elite semi-finals last year, having won the National Schools and Junior title.
The 20-year-old old also previously won a silver medal at the European Junior Championships.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 4 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 5 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
So far this season, Riley has won the Boys’ & Girls’ Club Championship 91kg title and has recently returned from a spell training at Floyd Mayweather’s Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas.
Riley will hope those sessions will help him in his bid to defend his title.