Clapton CFC women reach top of league with win over Comets
- Credit: Nick Davidson
Clapton Community FC women's team defeated Comets 2-0 on Sunday to take their place at the top of the Greater London Women's Football League premier division.
On a wet afternoon in Barnes, the two teams contested a competitive first half, with neither able to break a deadlock.
Clapton had a couple of half chances through Emily Link, but the Comets' goalkeeper twice dived at her feet to block.
It took something special to unlock the stubborn home defence. That came at 57 minutes when Marta Boiro curled a long-range free-kick into the corner.
Another Boiro free-kick was beaten away by the goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
Comets applied some late pressure and had a great chance to equalise, but the shot was blasted just off target.
Then, right before the end, the visitors sealed the points. Some intricate passing between Li Steiner and Lenny Holmes released Maria Mendonca on a lightning break down the left.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
The winger centred so Link could clinch it for Clapton.