Clapton CFC women thrash Sutton in season opener
- Credit: Garry Strutt
Clapton Community FC’s women’s team got the perfect start to their Greater London Premier season with a 5-0 victory over Sutton United U23s in Walthamstow on Sunday.
The visitors started strongly, testing Clapton goalkeeper Polly Adams on multiple occasions.
But it was Clapton who took the lead just before the break, when Emily Link converted a Li Steiner through-ball.
Manager Claudio Gomes changed the shape at half-time in order to address some of the problems that he felt had been stifling his team - and these tweaks seemed to help them come into their game.
Maria Mendonca doubled the lead just after the restart with a well-placed shot.
You may also want to watch:
Then on 67 minutes, Link buried a penalty in the bottom corner.
Late on, Mendonca made it four after fine work from Marta Boiro.
- 1 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 2 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 3 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 6 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
Finally, on 84 minutes, debutant Marta Casanovas spun her marker to round off the scoring.
Next Sunday, Clapton will travel to play Islington Borough, who lost their opener 2-1 to Headstone Manor.