Clapton Girls Academy under-16s crowned National Schools’ champions
- Credit: Archant
Clapton Girls Academy under-16 girls were crowned Dynamik Flooring National Schools’ champions after the Final Fours in Manchester t the weekend.
The Hackney-based school sealed a 67-63 victory in the final against Aylesbury High School to bag the top prize.
Youngster Jade Guidolin-Duncan also got her hands on a second piece of silverware as she was named the Most Valuable Player for the weekend after picking up 29 points, including 19 in the second half of the final.
The girls were losing 33-27 at the half-time break in the final, but a strong second-half performance saw them bring it home.
Head coach Fe Duhaney-Keown told Basketball England: “It has been a great weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“The energy level was low coming into this final, that led to some nerves in the early going, but then the defensive effort kicked in and I felt more comfortable that we’d have this one.
“I was worried in that final quarter, but I never doubted the team.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 5 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
“I was confident that when we got the ball back we’d know what to do with it. The right people needed to make the right decisions and that exactly what happened.”