Clapton Girls Academy under-16s crowned National Schools’ champions
- Credit: Archant
Clapton Girls Academy under-16 girls were crowned Dynamik Flooring National Schools’ champions after the Final Fours in Manchester t the weekend.
The Hackney-based school sealed a 67-63 victory in the final against Aylesbury High School to bag the top prize.
Youngster Jade Guidolin-Duncan also got her hands on a second piece of silverware as she was named the Most Valuable Player for the weekend after picking up 29 points, including 19 in the second half of the final.
The girls were losing 33-27 at the half-time break in the final, but a strong second-half performance saw them bring it home.
Head coach Fe Duhaney-Keown told Basketball England: “It has been a great weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“The energy level was low coming into this final, that led to some nerves in the early going, but then the defensive effort kicked in and I felt more comfortable that we’d have this one.
“I was worried in that final quarter, but I never doubted the team.
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
“I was confident that when we got the ball back we’d know what to do with it. The right people needed to make the right decisions and that exactly what happened.”