Clapton Girls Academy under-16s crowned National Schools’ champions
- Credit: Archant
Clapton Girls Academy under-16 girls were crowned Dynamik Flooring National Schools’ champions after the Final Fours in Manchester t the weekend.
The Hackney-based school sealed a 67-63 victory in the final against Aylesbury High School to bag the top prize.
Youngster Jade Guidolin-Duncan also got her hands on a second piece of silverware as she was named the Most Valuable Player for the weekend after picking up 29 points, including 19 in the second half of the final.
The girls were losing 33-27 at the half-time break in the final, but a strong second-half performance saw them bring it home.
Head coach Fe Duhaney-Keown told Basketball England: “It has been a great weekend.
“The energy level was low coming into this final, that led to some nerves in the early going, but then the defensive effort kicked in and I felt more comfortable that we’d have this one.
“I was worried in that final quarter, but I never doubted the team.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 3 Housing plan for De Beauvoir estate approved – despite environmental concerns
- 4 Police appeal for witnesses after Finsbury Park stabbing
- 5 Hackney Central: 25 flee from flats as fire breaks out in shop below
- 6 Hackney hostel murder: Man jailed for repeatedly stamping on victim's head
- 7 Top Hackney cop moves on to get the force out of special measures
- 8 Appeal: Victims feel 'extremely vulnerable' after bus sexual assaults
- 9 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 10 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
“I was confident that when we got the ball back we’d know what to do with it. The right people needed to make the right decisions and that exactly what happened.”