Clapton hoping to get back to winning ways after title rivals Redbridge end streak
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Clapton will look to bounce back after their eight-game winning streak was brought to an end by league leaders Redbridge in a 2-1 defeat at Oakside.
The Tons will travel to fellow Essex Senior League high-flyers FC Romania at Theobolds Lane Stadium on Saturday (3pm) as they look to get back to winning ways.
And assistant manager Wayne Seal believes they must contain free-flowing FC Romania this weekend if they do want to get themselves back on track.
“They’re a fantastic side and they like to play the ball,” Seal said.
“It’s just about containing them really, containing their style of play. If we can do that we’ve always got a chance.”
You may also want to watch:
Seal admitted he doesn’t know too much about the FC Romania squad, but he knows they are a force and did pin-point top goal scorer Florin Pop as their danger man.
“I don’t know their players as individuals, I know they’ve got Florin Pop, he’s obviously a fantastic player,” he added.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
“He’s one of those guys, a bit like a Ryan Reed. I’m not being disrespectful to Ryan, he’s been around it, played at a higher level and is always going to do something.
“If we can contain him, we’ll have a good chance, but they’ve got so many good players it’s the sort of game where you test yourself. They’re always going to be there or thereabouts at the end of season and they’ve got good players, so it will be a tough match, but I’m looking forward to it.”
Seal believes the Tons should have more options for a strong starting line-up as some players are close to fitness and they have made new additions this week.
“We’ve signed a couple of players, people are coming back from injury, so it’s going to give us a headache but these are the headaches you want as managers and coaches,” he said.
“You can’t necessarily mix the side up, but you can use certain players for certain games.”
The former Witham Town manager also revealed Clapton are hoping to have a goalkeeper available or signed by the weekend as captain Jerry Jairette had to stand in against Redbridge and suffered a shoulder injury leaving Nick Loblack to to go in goal in the second half.
“It’s now down to Jon and I to get one in as we’ve got a massive match on Saturday,” he said.