Clapton Rangers beat Mustard in final to complete league and cup double

Clapton Rangers's Ade Cole celebrates scoring against Mustard in the Dickie Davies Cup Final. Pic: G

Clapton Rangers's Ade Cole celebrates scoring against Mustard in the Dickie Davies Cup Final. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Clapton Rangers are celebrating a memorable double after beating Mustard 4-0 in the Dickie Davies Cup final on Sunday.

Rangers overcame the disappointment of losing to Mustard in the semi-finals of the Jack Walpole Cup last week to record a comfortable win that was capped by being crowned Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division winners after the game.

Strikes from Ade Cole, Nathan Scarborough, Ricky Edwards and Ashley Taylor-Forbes avenged last week’s 4-3 defeat.

Mustard, who were denied an equaliser when Oguz Celik produced a crucial one-handed save, will need to pick themselves up ahead of this weekend’s Jack Walpole Cup final against Mile End.

In Division One, Highfield FC beat Athletico Angels 2-0 courtesy of strikes from Babs Sambe and Michael Mayers to finish their season in fourth.

There was a happy ending to an otherwise forgettable campaign for relegated Newcresse FC, after Femi Awoyemi scored twice in a 3-2 win over Hackney Allstars.

Elsewhere, Riviera drew 1-1 with Wounded Knee, after Jason Reid cancelled out Ariel Collar’s second-half opener for Riviera.

Most Read

In Division Three, Chapel United destroyed Football Club 22 7-1 to clinch promotion in style.

John Wiggs scored a brace while Ashley Smithson, Sam Jones, Gavin Kealy, Peter Green and Chris Mulroy were also on target.

Boroughs United did even better as they hammered Maynell 8-0, with hat-tricks for Quillon Placindi and Day Ayantoga, while a brace from Jack Heath helped Top Red to a 2-1 win over Wenlock Arms.

In Division Four, Wojack Sunday beat Waltham Forest United 3-0 through second-half goals from Dan Harrold – who grabbed a brace – and Jason Rowe.

James Alowsi, Lewis Hubbard and Stuart Leslie were all on target in a 3-1 win for South London Sharks over East London, while Woodford Rovers beat Leyton Manor 2-0.

Finally, the points were shared between Bethune FC and Dynamo Gobbler in a hard-fought match. S Marshall’s opener for Bethune was cancelled out by Dynamo’s Sean Convey to leave the sides locked at 1-1.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter