Clapton Rangers closing in on title after victory over Niva-Unistream
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Clapton Rangers maintained their assault on the Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division title with a 3-0 win over Niva-Unistream on Sunday.
Maurice Byfield scored twice, either side of Ricky Edwards, who doubled Rangers’ lead on a comfortable afternoon at the Marshes.
Troy Deering’s brace helped Shakespeare to keep pace at the top with a 2-1 win over Mustard. Shakespeare remain five points behind Clapton, who have a game in hand, in what is now a two-horse race for the title.
Elsewhere, Young London Meteors needed a late double from Richard Owusu to complete a 3-1 victory over Tottenham Phoenix.
Jerome Anglin gave Phoenix a first-half lead, before Jose Anglin’s equaliser sparked the comeback.
You may also want to watch:
Bartlett and Mile End played out a dramatic 3-3 thriller, after two goals from Vincent Williams cancelled out Mile End’s two-goal lead heading into the last 10 minutes.
In Division One, there was little surprise as table-toppers FC Krystal blew away bottom side Newcresse 8-0 – Gatis Girons and Vaga Attila both helping themselves to four goals apiece.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
The result leaves Krystal six points ahead of Lions, who were 11-4 winners over MDM United.
Onisim Chelba and Grab Jon both hit four for Lions in a high-scoring game that also included braces for MDM’s Mark Akwai and James Briggs.
In Division Two, Angel & Crown sealed promotion with a 4-2 victory over Haggerston. Callum Ellis, Jack Cassidy, Raymond Richardson and Lee Gaynor were all on the scoresheet, while Sam Anjurin netted both Haggerston goals.
In Division Three, Maynell are staring relegation in the face after Chapel United heaped on the agony with a 5-1 thrashing, courtesy of a Johnny Fitzpatrick hat-trick.
Dean Mathis scored for Maynell, but Daniel Monero and Chris Mulroy had by that point ensured that it was no more than a consolation.
In Division Four, Renaissance won the huge top-of-the-table clash with Eastway Olympia after Darren Dice’s last-minute goal sealed a 3-2 win for the league leaders.