Clapton Rangers closing in on title after victory over Niva-Unistream
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Clapton Rangers maintained their assault on the Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division title with a 3-0 win over Niva-Unistream on Sunday.
Maurice Byfield scored twice, either side of Ricky Edwards, who doubled Rangers’ lead on a comfortable afternoon at the Marshes.
Troy Deering’s brace helped Shakespeare to keep pace at the top with a 2-1 win over Mustard. Shakespeare remain five points behind Clapton, who have a game in hand, in what is now a two-horse race for the title.
Elsewhere, Young London Meteors needed a late double from Richard Owusu to complete a 3-1 victory over Tottenham Phoenix.
Jerome Anglin gave Phoenix a first-half lead, before Jose Anglin’s equaliser sparked the comeback.
You may also want to watch:
Bartlett and Mile End played out a dramatic 3-3 thriller, after two goals from Vincent Williams cancelled out Mile End’s two-goal lead heading into the last 10 minutes.
In Division One, there was little surprise as table-toppers FC Krystal blew away bottom side Newcresse 8-0 – Gatis Girons and Vaga Attila both helping themselves to four goals apiece.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 8 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
The result leaves Krystal six points ahead of Lions, who were 11-4 winners over MDM United.
Onisim Chelba and Grab Jon both hit four for Lions in a high-scoring game that also included braces for MDM’s Mark Akwai and James Briggs.
In Division Two, Angel & Crown sealed promotion with a 4-2 victory over Haggerston. Callum Ellis, Jack Cassidy, Raymond Richardson and Lee Gaynor were all on the scoresheet, while Sam Anjurin netted both Haggerston goals.
In Division Three, Maynell are staring relegation in the face after Chapel United heaped on the agony with a 5-1 thrashing, courtesy of a Johnny Fitzpatrick hat-trick.
Dean Mathis scored for Maynell, but Daniel Monero and Chris Mulroy had by that point ensured that it was no more than a consolation.
In Division Four, Renaissance won the huge top-of-the-table clash with Eastway Olympia after Darren Dice’s last-minute goal sealed a 3-2 win for the league leaders.