Clapton Rangers crush Angel & Crown in cup tie

Action from the Jack Walpole Cup tie between FC Haggerston (burgundy/white) and London Meteors. Pic:

Action from the Jack Walpole Cup tie between FC Haggerston (burgundy/white) and London Meteors. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

A brace from Nathan Scarborough helped Clapton Rangers ease to a comprehensive 4-1 win over Division Two side Angel & Crown in the second round of the Jack Walpole Cup.

The current Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division leaders were ahead at half-time through a Ben Gracey strike, before Scarborough took centre stage.

Ashley Taylor-Forbes made the result a formality, landing the final nail in Angel & Crown’s coffin, before Callum Ellis struck a late consolation.

London Meteors also advanced into the next round as a Richard Owusu hat-trick helped the Premier Division strugglers stroll to a 5-2 victory in their tie against FC Haggerston.

Derick Gyimah and Kwane Safo were also on target, adding to Haggerston’s woes, despite a brace from Sam Anjurin restoring a degree of respectability to the scoreline.

Less of a formality was Hackney All Stars’ progress in the competition, as the Division One side required extra time to overcome Woodford Rovers 6-4.

The Division Four underdogs took a surprise early lead through Conrad Mullings in a topsy-turvy match that was poised at 3-3 after 90 minutes, before class eventually told.

Most Read

In the Jack Morgan Cup, last season’s losing finalists City Fliers were dumped out in the first round, after Joe Cridland scored the decisive extra-time goal in a shock 4-3 win for Division Four outfit South London Sharks.

An eventful match included a Callum Jones brace for the Sharks to cancel out Scott Freeman’s own double, meaning both sides were locked at 3-3 after normal time.

Dynamo Gobbler are also in the hat for the next round after they enjoyed a resounding 7-2 waltz over fellow Division Four side Birkbeck Orient B.

Ewan Macleod helped himself to four goals, as Dynamo converted their current superior league status into cup competition.

Gobbler will be joined by Bristow City, after the Division One leaders made light work of Wenlock Arms. Toby Connor and Jordan Smith both scored twice to secure a 4-1 win over their Division Three counterparts.

In the Hackney & Leyton Junior Cup second round, Alex Powell scored a late winner as Eastway Olympia edged out Leyton Manor 1-0.

Top Red had a far more comfortable afternoon against Renaissance with Freddie Williams, Sam Velody, Gabriel Morrison and Max Levy helping the Division Three side to a 4-0 romp.

A hat-trick from Adrian Johnson sealed Maynell’s path into the next round with a 3-0 win at the expense of Bethune FC, while there were also victories for Bocca Albion, Chapel Utd and Boroughs Utd over Waltham Forest Utd, Boston Celtic and Regent’s Park Rovers respectively.

In the Albert Daniels Senior Cup first round, Highfield came from behind to defeat Premier Division Shakespeare 2-1.

Doren John gave the Shakes an early lead, but the Division One side responded in the second half through Ike Mpom and Tope Olateju to seal a surprise win.

Tottenham Phoenix were another top flight victim to second-tier opposition, as a goal in each half by Adam Guzel and Gunner Kay gave Dynamics a deserved 2-0 victory.

In the Premier Division, FC Bartlett’s struggle to retain their crown continues after Yosser Tozi’s brace helped consign last season’s champions to a 3-2 defeat against Mustard, while Niva Unistream were comfortable 5-2 winners over rock-bottom New Kuba.

There was a nine-goal thriller in Division One as FC Krystal overcame Lions FC 5-4, thanks to a sensational hat-trick from Vasyl Prokipchuk.

MDM United consolidated second place after they beat Wounded Knee 4-2.

Darren Richards, Akwagi Marfo, Samuel Berry and Ty Gannon were all on target for MDM with Darryl Lynch scoring both of Knee’s goals.

The gap to Forest Athletic remains three points, however, as the league leaders inflicted a first defeat of the season for third-placed Riviera in a 4-2 win for Athletic.

In Division Two, Birkbeck Orient A failed to take full advantage of leaders Bristow being on cup duty after being held to a 1-1 draw against BG United.

Ilko Yakimov cancelled out Chris Agathangelov’s opener for Birkbeck, meaning Orient remain in third.


Jay Cubed are still searching for their first win of the season, following a 3-1 defeat to Shoreditch Fire Penguins. Chris Graham scored twice for the sixth-placed Penguins.

n In Division Three, Football Club 22 remain one point above the drop zone after losing 4-1 to Gladstone Wanderers.

Ian Hunter, Byron Price, Ron Myers and Jack Male were all goalscorers for Gladstone against the league’s most porous defence.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter