Coach Zah: Perri’s plaudits are richly deserved
Perri Shakes-Drayton was named Athlete of the Year by Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC
Perri Shakes-Drayton was named Athlete of the Year by her club Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC last week – and her coach Chris Zah has been delighted with the character she has shown to bounce back so soon after a disappointing Olympic Games.
The 23-year-old was expected to challenge for a medal in the 400 metres hurdles competition at the Olympic Stadium in August.
But a hamstring injury saw her surprisingly eliminated at the semi-final stage and left her London 2012 medal dreams in tatters.
Less than a month later though, Shakes-Drayton was back on the track running in a Diamond League meeting in Switzerland where she finished third in 53.83 seconds – just 0.06 seconds outside of her personal best.
And now the curtain has come down on an exciting summer season, Zah believes the Bow-born athlete’s ability to produce impressive performances, so soon after stark disappointment, makes the club honour richly deserved.
“It took a few weeks for her to get over what happened at the Olympics,” he said.
- 1 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 2 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 3 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 6 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 7 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 8 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 9 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 10 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
“I did a bit of kidology with her and convinced her to get straight back out there and to try and perform.
“I couldn’t fault the Diamond League performances at all. Bouncing back like that is typical of her character. I expected nothing less.
“She’s got time on her side. She’s still only 23 and there will be plenty more major championships to come.”