Coach Zah: Perri’s plaudits are richly deserved
Perri Shakes-Drayton was named Athlete of the Year by Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC
Perri Shakes-Drayton was named Athlete of the Year by her club Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC last week – and her coach Chris Zah has been delighted with the character she has shown to bounce back so soon after a disappointing Olympic Games.
The 23-year-old was expected to challenge for a medal in the 400 metres hurdles competition at the Olympic Stadium in August.
But a hamstring injury saw her surprisingly eliminated at the semi-final stage and left her London 2012 medal dreams in tatters.
Less than a month later though, Shakes-Drayton was back on the track running in a Diamond League meeting in Switzerland where she finished third in 53.83 seconds – just 0.06 seconds outside of her personal best.
You may also want to watch:
And now the curtain has come down on an exciting summer season, Zah believes the Bow-born athlete’s ability to produce impressive performances, so soon after stark disappointment, makes the club honour richly deserved.
“It took a few weeks for her to get over what happened at the Olympics,” he said.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 10 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
“I did a bit of kidology with her and convinced her to get straight back out there and to try and perform.
“I couldn’t fault the Diamond League performances at all. Bouncing back like that is typical of her character. I expected nothing less.
“She’s got time on her side. She’s still only 23 and there will be plenty more major championships to come.”