Coach Zah: Perri’s plaudits are richly deserved
Perri Shakes-Drayton was named Athlete of the Year by Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC
Perri Shakes-Drayton was named Athlete of the Year by her club Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets AC last week – and her coach Chris Zah has been delighted with the character she has shown to bounce back so soon after a disappointing Olympic Games.
The 23-year-old was expected to challenge for a medal in the 400 metres hurdles competition at the Olympic Stadium in August.
But a hamstring injury saw her surprisingly eliminated at the semi-final stage and left her London 2012 medal dreams in tatters.
Less than a month later though, Shakes-Drayton was back on the track running in a Diamond League meeting in Switzerland where she finished third in 53.83 seconds – just 0.06 seconds outside of her personal best.
You may also want to watch:
And now the curtain has come down on an exciting summer season, Zah believes the Bow-born athlete’s ability to produce impressive performances, so soon after stark disappointment, makes the club honour richly deserved.
“It took a few weeks for her to get over what happened at the Olympics,” he said.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
“I did a bit of kidology with her and convinced her to get straight back out there and to try and perform.
“I couldn’t fault the Diamond League performances at all. Bouncing back like that is typical of her character. I expected nothing less.
“She’s got time on her side. She’s still only 23 and there will be plenty more major championships to come.”