Davies to fight former world champion Vazquez at York Hall in June
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pair to meet on busy MTK Global show in London on June 28
Hackney super lightweight Ohara Davies returns to action June 28 against former long-reigning lightweight world champion Miguel Vazquez at the historic York Hall.
Vazquez, a native of Guadalajara, Mexico, previously held the IBF world title for four years before losing to Mickey Bey via a controversial split decision in Las Vegas in September 2014.
And Davies welcomes the challenge of facing one of the sport’s craftiest veterans.
“It puts me back on the world scene and I feel like that’s where I truly belong,” he said. I’m ready to make amends and right all the wrongs from my last fight.
You may also want to watch:
“I know what mistakes I made against Jack Catterall and now I’m going to capitalise.
“I’ve had a quiet few months since then, but I’ve been training every day, so I’ll be the best me when I get in there.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 7 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
“Some people said I should fight a journeyman and ease myself back into things, but I know what I can do.
“York Hall is not far from my house. I might even get the bus down there on the night!
“London is my hometown and I’m comfortable here. I have my friends and family here, and that means a lot to me.”