Davies to fight former world champion Vazquez at York Hall in June
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pair to meet on busy MTK Global show in London on June 28
Hackney super lightweight Ohara Davies returns to action June 28 against former long-reigning lightweight world champion Miguel Vazquez at the historic York Hall.
Vazquez, a native of Guadalajara, Mexico, previously held the IBF world title for four years before losing to Mickey Bey via a controversial split decision in Las Vegas in September 2014.
And Davies welcomes the challenge of facing one of the sport’s craftiest veterans.
“It puts me back on the world scene and I feel like that’s where I truly belong,” he said. I’m ready to make amends and right all the wrongs from my last fight.
You may also want to watch:
“I know what mistakes I made against Jack Catterall and now I’m going to capitalise.
“I’ve had a quiet few months since then, but I’ve been training every day, so I’ll be the best me when I get in there.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
“Some people said I should fight a journeyman and ease myself back into things, but I know what I can do.
“York Hall is not far from my house. I might even get the bus down there on the night!
“London is my hometown and I’m comfortable here. I have my friends and family here, and that means a lot to me.”