Davies to fight former world champion Vazquez at York Hall in June
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pair to meet on busy MTK Global show in London on June 28
Hackney super lightweight Ohara Davies returns to action June 28 against former long-reigning lightweight world champion Miguel Vazquez at the historic York Hall.
Vazquez, a native of Guadalajara, Mexico, previously held the IBF world title for four years before losing to Mickey Bey via a controversial split decision in Las Vegas in September 2014.
And Davies welcomes the challenge of facing one of the sport’s craftiest veterans.
“It puts me back on the world scene and I feel like that’s where I truly belong,” he said. I’m ready to make amends and right all the wrongs from my last fight.
You may also want to watch:
“I know what mistakes I made against Jack Catterall and now I’m going to capitalise.
“I’ve had a quiet few months since then, but I’ve been training every day, so I’ll be the best me when I get in there.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Days left to register to vote in May elections
“Some people said I should fight a journeyman and ease myself back into things, but I know what I can do.
“York Hall is not far from my house. I might even get the bus down there on the night!
“London is my hometown and I’m comfortable here. I have my friends and family here, and that means a lot to me.”