Davies to fight former world champion Vazquez at York Hall in June
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Pair to meet on busy MTK Global show in London on June 28
Hackney super lightweight Ohara Davies returns to action June 28 against former long-reigning lightweight world champion Miguel Vazquez at the historic York Hall.
Vazquez, a native of Guadalajara, Mexico, previously held the IBF world title for four years before losing to Mickey Bey via a controversial split decision in Las Vegas in September 2014.
And Davies welcomes the challenge of facing one of the sport’s craftiest veterans.
“It puts me back on the world scene and I feel like that’s where I truly belong,” he said. I’m ready to make amends and right all the wrongs from my last fight.
“I know what mistakes I made against Jack Catterall and now I’m going to capitalise.
“I’ve had a quiet few months since then, but I’ve been training every day, so I’ll be the best me when I get in there.
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 6 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 7 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 10 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
“Some people said I should fight a journeyman and ease myself back into things, but I know what I can do.
“York Hall is not far from my house. I might even get the bus down there on the night!
“London is my hometown and I’m comfortable here. I have my friends and family here, and that means a lot to me.”