Ekundayo beats Greene to retain European title
- Credit: Archant
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Stoke Newington’s Larry Ekundayo retained his IBF European welterweight title with a points win over Louis Greene at York Hall on Saturday.
Though Ekundayo won on a wide decision by the three judges, all rounds were competitive and the Hackney man had to maintain his focus against a previously unbeaten rival.
The 36-year-old brought plenty of support for the bout at York Hall and said after: “Lewis was a tough kid.
“I hurt him a few times and I was told by my team to keep it simple, which is what I did.”
You may also want to watch:
It was a superb end to the year for Ekundayo and one that he hopes will form the basis for a successful year in 2019.
*Former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs earned a fourth straight win with a points victory over Stockport rival Jimmy Quinn at York Hall on Saturday.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
Referee Lee Cook scored all four rounds in lightweight Isaacs favour to hand him the triumph.