Ekundayo beats Greene to retain European title
- Credit: Archant
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Stoke Newington’s Larry Ekundayo retained his IBF European welterweight title with a points win over Louis Greene at York Hall on Saturday.
Though Ekundayo won on a wide decision by the three judges, all rounds were competitive and the Hackney man had to maintain his focus against a previously unbeaten rival.
The 36-year-old brought plenty of support for the bout at York Hall and said after: “Lewis was a tough kid.
“I hurt him a few times and I was told by my team to keep it simple, which is what I did.”
It was a superb end to the year for Ekundayo and one that he hopes will form the basis for a successful year in 2019.
*Former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs earned a fourth straight win with a points victory over Stockport rival Jimmy Quinn at York Hall on Saturday.
- 1 Jailed: 'Evil' Dalston rapist who tried to flee country by Eurostar
- 2 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 3 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 4 MP Meg Hillier urges people to book boosters amid Omicron spread
- 5 Free Movember 'shave down' at Hackney salon
- 6 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 7 A fan of brussels sprouts? Then you'll love this Hoxton restaurant
- 8 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 9 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 10 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
Referee Lee Cook scored all four rounds in lightweight Isaacs favour to hand him the triumph.