Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after narrow defeat away to Stansted and all set for step six next season
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after defeat at Stansted
Hackney Wick’s relegation from the Essex Senior League was confirmed last night following their 1-0 defeat at Stansted.
The Old Spotted Dog outfit knew they need to claim at least a point to retain any hope of producing a great escape during the final month of the season.
It wasn’t to be though, as they were downed by the Airportmen and will ply their trade outside of the Essex Senior League next season.
Kick-off at Hargrave Park was delayed, but once proceedings got underway it was the hosts who looked most likely to make the breakthrough and they soon did.
You may also want to watch:
Shaun Avis held the ball up and passed into the path of Jack Folan, and he fizzed into Channing Campbell-Young and he controlled before half volleying home from outside the area.
It was a stunning goal and Hackney Wick’s task was made even harder when Hassan Nalbant received his marching orders midway through the half.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 9 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 10 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
The visitors were furious about the decision and couldn’t manage to fight back from a goal down with only 10-men.
Wick finished the game with nine when a player went off with an injury to cap a bad night in Essex for the Old Spotted Dog outfit.