Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after narrow defeat away to Stansted and all set for step six next season
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after defeat at Stansted
Hackney Wick’s relegation from the Essex Senior League was confirmed last night following their 1-0 defeat at Stansted.
The Old Spotted Dog outfit knew they need to claim at least a point to retain any hope of producing a great escape during the final month of the season.
It wasn’t to be though, as they were downed by the Airportmen and will ply their trade outside of the Essex Senior League next season.
Kick-off at Hargrave Park was delayed, but once proceedings got underway it was the hosts who looked most likely to make the breakthrough and they soon did.
Shaun Avis held the ball up and passed into the path of Jack Folan, and he fizzed into Channing Campbell-Young and he controlled before half volleying home from outside the area.
It was a stunning goal and Hackney Wick’s task was made even harder when Hassan Nalbant received his marching orders midway through the half.
- 1 Hackney strip bar could lose license after breaching Covid rules
- 2 Teenager charged after Jewish men attacked in Stamford Hill
- 3 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 4 More details emerge on antisemitic attack in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Nail-biting situation': Hundreds of Homerton's staff at risk of dismissal over Covid vaccines
- 6 Hackney mum and brain tumour patient to walk for charity dressed as duck
- 7 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 8 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 9 Afghan refugee family rehomed in Hackney
- 10 Hackney has the best Wi-Fi in London, according to travellers
The visitors were furious about the decision and couldn’t manage to fight back from a goal down with only 10-men.
Wick finished the game with nine when a player went off with an injury to cap a bad night in Essex for the Old Spotted Dog outfit.