Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after narrow defeat away to Stansted and all set for step six next season
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after defeat at Stansted
Hackney Wick’s relegation from the Essex Senior League was confirmed last night following their 1-0 defeat at Stansted.
The Old Spotted Dog outfit knew they need to claim at least a point to retain any hope of producing a great escape during the final month of the season.
It wasn’t to be though, as they were downed by the Airportmen and will ply their trade outside of the Essex Senior League next season.
Kick-off at Hargrave Park was delayed, but once proceedings got underway it was the hosts who looked most likely to make the breakthrough and they soon did.
Shaun Avis held the ball up and passed into the path of Jack Folan, and he fizzed into Channing Campbell-Young and he controlled before half volleying home from outside the area.
It was a stunning goal and Hackney Wick’s task was made even harder when Hassan Nalbant received his marching orders midway through the half.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 3 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
- 8 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
- 9 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 10 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
The visitors were furious about the decision and couldn’t manage to fight back from a goal down with only 10-men.
Wick finished the game with nine when a player went off with an injury to cap a bad night in Essex for the Old Spotted Dog outfit.