Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after narrow defeat away to Stansted and all set for step six next season
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick down after defeat at Stansted
Hackney Wick’s relegation from the Essex Senior League was confirmed last night following their 1-0 defeat at Stansted.
The Old Spotted Dog outfit knew they need to claim at least a point to retain any hope of producing a great escape during the final month of the season.
It wasn’t to be though, as they were downed by the Airportmen and will ply their trade outside of the Essex Senior League next season.
Kick-off at Hargrave Park was delayed, but once proceedings got underway it was the hosts who looked most likely to make the breakthrough and they soon did.
You may also want to watch:
Shaun Avis held the ball up and passed into the path of Jack Folan, and he fizzed into Channing Campbell-Young and he controlled before half volleying home from outside the area.
It was a stunning goal and Hackney Wick’s task was made even harder when Hassan Nalbant received his marching orders midway through the half.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Sadiq Khan: “Young People in Hackney remind me of myself 30 years ago”
The visitors were furious about the decision and couldn’t manage to fight back from a goal down with only 10-men.
Wick finished the game with nine when a player went off with an injury to cap a bad night in Essex for the Old Spotted Dog outfit.