Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick 1 West Essex 2
- Credit: Archant
Hackney Wick suffered a 2-1 defeat to West Essex in their final home match of the Essex Senior League campaign.
A Brad Russell brace put a miserable end to life at the Old Spotted Dog ground for the Wickers and force them to miss out on another three points.
Visitors West Essex have moved up to sixth after the win.
The deadlock was broken ten minutes into the second half when Brad Russell’s free-kick drifted over the stranded Wick keeper who could only palm it into the net, but ten minutes later the hosts levelled through Tony Cookey after a mix-up in the visitors defence.
The visitors then netted the winner twenty minutes from time when Brad Russell netted his second of the game from the spot after Bromley had been fouled in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Wick will finish the season bottom following this defeat despite having two more away matches left to play.
Striker Tony Cookey tweeted after the match: “Disappointed with the result but good effort from the lads.
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 6 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 7 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 8 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 9 Decision to demolish 'irreplaceable' community hall in Hackney on hold
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
“Another goal ?for me 5 in 5 keep the fire burning.”