Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick 1 West Essex 2
- Credit: Archant
Hackney Wick suffered a 2-1 defeat to West Essex in their final home match of the Essex Senior League campaign.
A Brad Russell brace put a miserable end to life at the Old Spotted Dog ground for the Wickers and force them to miss out on another three points.
Visitors West Essex have moved up to sixth after the win.
The deadlock was broken ten minutes into the second half when Brad Russell’s free-kick drifted over the stranded Wick keeper who could only palm it into the net, but ten minutes later the hosts levelled through Tony Cookey after a mix-up in the visitors defence.
The visitors then netted the winner twenty minutes from time when Brad Russell netted his second of the game from the spot after Bromley had been fouled in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Wick will finish the season bottom following this defeat despite having two more away matches left to play.
Striker Tony Cookey tweeted after the match: “Disappointed with the result but good effort from the lads.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
“Another goal ?for me 5 in 5 keep the fire burning.”