Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick 1 West Essex 2
- Credit: Archant
Hackney Wick suffered a 2-1 defeat to West Essex in their final home match of the Essex Senior League campaign.
A Brad Russell brace put a miserable end to life at the Old Spotted Dog ground for the Wickers and force them to miss out on another three points.
Visitors West Essex have moved up to sixth after the win.
The deadlock was broken ten minutes into the second half when Brad Russell’s free-kick drifted over the stranded Wick keeper who could only palm it into the net, but ten minutes later the hosts levelled through Tony Cookey after a mix-up in the visitors defence.
The visitors then netted the winner twenty minutes from time when Brad Russell netted his second of the game from the spot after Bromley had been fouled in the area.
You may also want to watch:
Wick will finish the season bottom following this defeat despite having two more away matches left to play.
Striker Tony Cookey tweeted after the match: “Disappointed with the result but good effort from the lads.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 10 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
“Another goal ?for me 5 in 5 keep the fire burning.”