Exclusive: West Ham’s Parker rated 50/50, but he did not train Tuesday
Hammer Parker having tests ahead of Blackburn Rovers match
West Ham midfielder Scott Parker has a 50-50 chance of playing against Blackburn on Saturday, but did not break down in training Tuesday as reported in the national media.
Parker, who has been struggling with an Achilles problem, did not even train with the squad on Tuesday, but is undergoing tests to see if he can play against Blackburn this weekend.
A source at the club confirmed the Hammer of the Year is a doubt for Saturday’s match.
“He didn’t train yesterday, but that doesn’t mean he won won’t play on Saturday. They are doing various things to try and get him fit. Often players don’t train earlier in the week but will closer to the game,” the source said.
You may also want to watch:
“The player is obviously desperate to play and with time running out in the season, it is likely he will play. We need the points.”
There was further positive news that captain Matthew Upson is likely to be fit to take on Rovers this weekend.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
The centre half had to be withdrawn against Manchester City at the weekend with a dead leg, but should be okay for Saturday.
Fellow defender James Tomkins is a bigger concern however. Tomkins suffered a bang on the knee at Eastlands and is doubtful, while Mark Noble is definitely out.
Noble had a successful operation on his hernia earlier in the week and could yet still play this season.
“He is definitely not ready for Saturday, but as we have seen in the past, Mark recovers from injury very quickly, so he could still play this season,” the source added.
For all the latest West Ham news, views and alaysis follow us on twitter at www.twitter.com/ela_hammers