Football: Neymar Jr’s Five comes to Powerleague Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
London qualifier to take place on March 22 and March 25
Neymar Jr’s Five is back in the UK for 2018, with a qualifier taking place at Powerleague Shoreditch on March 22 and March 25.
The tournament, Brazilian football superstar’s signature five-a-side event, kicks-off with 16 qualifiers taking place over the course of eight weeks, and in eight different locations.
As in previous years, Neymar Jr’s Five will follow the unique format dreamt up by the Paris Saint-Germain star himself.
Conceding a goal causes your team to lose a player, with games lasting just 10 minutes – or until your team loses all its players.
You may also want to watch:
Players must be between 16-25 to participate, although two players out of the maximum seven per squad can be over 25.
Successful teams from the local qualifiers will go on to compete in the national final in Birmingham on May 5, with the winning teams going on to compete in the global finals at the Instituto Projeto Neymar Jr in Praia Grande; Brazil, an academy set up by Neymar Jr himself to help those in surrounding areas take part in a variety of sports.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 6 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 7 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 8 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 9 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 10 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
The road to the Neymar Jr’s Five World Final has already begun with players from more than 60 countries and six continents set to battle it out for global glory under the watchful eye of Neymar Jr.
Last year, over 100,000 players from 53 countries took part in the competition and this year the countries participating has increased meaning even more teams will line up with the chance to be crowned champions.
Although teams can be mixed, 2018 will also see the introduction of an all-women tournament to Neymar Jr’s Five at two of the UK qualifying rounds to get even more players involved in this fast-paced format.
“What makes me really excited is that each edition brings more players from more countries so I’m glad to know that everyone wants to participate, and I feel happy to be part of it, this is what excites me the most,” said Neymar Jr.
To sign up for the event, visit neymarjrsfive.com where additional information about the qualifier as well as Neymar Jr’s Five can also be found.