Football: Neymar Jr’s Five comes to Powerleague Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
London qualifier to take place on March 22 and March 25
Neymar Jr’s Five is back in the UK for 2018, with a qualifier taking place at Powerleague Shoreditch on March 22 and March 25.
The tournament, Brazilian football superstar’s signature five-a-side event, kicks-off with 16 qualifiers taking place over the course of eight weeks, and in eight different locations.
As in previous years, Neymar Jr’s Five will follow the unique format dreamt up by the Paris Saint-Germain star himself.
Conceding a goal causes your team to lose a player, with games lasting just 10 minutes – or until your team loses all its players.
Players must be between 16-25 to participate, although two players out of the maximum seven per squad can be over 25.
Successful teams from the local qualifiers will go on to compete in the national final in Birmingham on May 5, with the winning teams going on to compete in the global finals at the Instituto Projeto Neymar Jr in Praia Grande; Brazil, an academy set up by Neymar Jr himself to help those in surrounding areas take part in a variety of sports.
- 1 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 2 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 3 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 4 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 5 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 6 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 7 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Politicians urged to rethink plans for £600m waste incinerator
- 10 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
The road to the Neymar Jr’s Five World Final has already begun with players from more than 60 countries and six continents set to battle it out for global glory under the watchful eye of Neymar Jr.
Last year, over 100,000 players from 53 countries took part in the competition and this year the countries participating has increased meaning even more teams will line up with the chance to be crowned champions.
Although teams can be mixed, 2018 will also see the introduction of an all-women tournament to Neymar Jr’s Five at two of the UK qualifying rounds to get even more players involved in this fast-paced format.
“What makes me really excited is that each edition brings more players from more countries so I’m glad to know that everyone wants to participate, and I feel happy to be part of it, this is what excites me the most,” said Neymar Jr.
To sign up for the event, visit neymarjrsfive.com where additional information about the qualifier as well as Neymar Jr’s Five can also be found.