Steven’s hat-trick sends City Flyers into Jack Morgan Cup final

PUBLISHED: 12:39 26 March 2014 | UPDATED: 12:39 26 March 2014

City Flyers celebrate a goal against Maynell

City Flyers celebrate a goal against Maynell

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Matt Steven netted a hat-trick as City Flyers held off Maynell’s fightback to win 4-2 and book their place in the Jack Morgan Cup final.

Flyers led Sunday’s semi-final 2-0 at half-time, but Division Four side Maynell wiped out the deficit with goals from Ken Lengiz and Paul Christodolou before Aaron Chandler and Steven, completing his treble, restored their side’s supremacy.

They will now face fellow Division Three outfit FC Duchess, who edged out Bristow City in the other semi-final, thanks to a 75th-minute strike from Daniel Crockett.

n Jimmy Krah’s hat-trick helped Black Meteors to put the disappointment of last week’s Albert Daniels Cup semi-final loss behind them as they beat Newcresse 5-1 in the third round of the Dickie Davies Cup.

Richard Ofosu and Abdul Mustapha were also on the scoresheet as the cup holders progressed, while Andy Benskin netted Newcresse’s goal.

n Constantin Tronciu was on target for Niva-Unistream as they defeated Tottenham Phoenix 2-1 in the Jack Walpole Cup third round, while RL United are also through after beating FC Polit by the same scoreline, with Ishmail Elkhobiz volleying the winner.

n Jamie Killingback hit a brace as Phoenix finished their Premier Division campaign with a 4-1 win over Red Devils. Gio Falzone and Robert O’Brien were also on target.

n George Oddey’s double put Shakespeare top of Division One after a thrilling 2-2 draw against Highfield, whose goals came from Marcus Renford and Ted Dankyl.

Wounded Knee and Homerton also shared the spoils as they fought out a 2-2 draw, with Russell Hughes and Joshua Ade both finding the net for Knee.

n Ashley Green grabbed his second goal of the game with five minutes remaining to seal the Division Two title for Athletico Angels as they drew 2-2 with Forest Athletic.

Jonathan Signore put Jay Cubed ahead against Football Club 22, with Asha Dallas adding a second goal after the break to clinch his side’s 2-0 win.

n Ryan Gray’s double helped Birkbeck Orient to take advantage of City Flyers’ cup commitments and replace them at the top of Division Three with a 4-2 victory over Stratford Athletic.

Matt Herring’s early goal was enough to earn Bocca Albion the points against Wenlock Arms, while Woodford Rovers beat Regent’s Park Rovers 3-1 and Delta Athletic drew 1-1 against Shoreditch Fire Penguins.

n Daniel Little helped himself to four goals, with Jason Gardner netting the other two as Eastway Olympia hammered Leyton Manor 6-1 in Division Four.

Michael Coles and Daniel St-Louis scored two apiece in Leyton Orient Fans Trust’s 7-1 victory over East London, while Haggerston beat Top Red 3-0 and Wojack Sunday defeated Bow Badgers 5-1.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette