Hackney-born pair triumph in Leicester
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
There were wins for two Hackney-born boxers on a Frank Warren show in Leicester on Saturday night.
Super lightweight Sam Maxwell stopped France’s Sabri Sediri to win the WBO European strap, the first professional title of his career, but did so in dramatic fashion.
Both Maxwell and Sediri were unbeaten prior to Saturday’s meeting, with the Hackney-born bruiser having triumphed in all 10 of his professional contests.
The 30-year-old came out fighting in the first round, but got caught by an overhand right halfway through the opener that saw him hit the canvas.
You may also want to watch:
Another overhand right from Sediri in the second proved equally effective, dropping Maxwell once more.
In the third, the 30-year-old began to use his jab more in an attempt to keep the fight at a distance while forcing his French rival onto the back foot.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Going into the final round, Maxwell was behind on points and the only way he looked like winning would be if he could knock Sediri out.
With 12 seconds remaining, Maxwell dropped his French opponent with a powerful right that sent him crashing to the canvas and forcing referee Steve Gray to stop the bout.
It was a dramatic success for the 30-year-old who let out a scream of joy once the fight was over.
The devastating knockout ensured Maxwell retained his perfect record, but the Hackney-born boxer will hope he never finds himself in a similar situation again.
On the same bill, super feathweight Lyon Woodstock beat Nicaraguan rival Sergio Gonzalez on points.
It was a return to winning ways for the 25-year-old having lost his previous bout to British rival Archie Sharp.