Hackney boy clinches victory in national final
- Credit: Archant
Stoke Newington School student Pele Julien battled through a competitive pool to take gold at the Armada Cup competition in Plymouth.
Representing Crystal Palace Diving Club, Julien was part of a 28-strong squad competing at Plymouth Life Centre and played his part in a major medal haul for the club.
The young diver from Hackney claimed his victory in the 1m springboard event and, despite finishing fourth in a pool of 28 other competitors in the preliminary round, blossomed in the final to record 131.30 points and bag the gold medal.
Mum Maria said “Pele wants to win as many competitions as possible so he can achieve his goal to become part of Team GB. We are very supportive of Pele and proud of his achievements.”
In similarly hard-fought events, Julien notched an impressive fifth in the 3m springboard and sixth in the platform as the club helped themselves to five gold, seven silver and eight bronze medals overall.
You may also want to watch:
The Armada Cup success was the latest in a succession of notable performances from the year 8 student, who was returning to the scene of his National Skills Competition victory last May.
Julien already has half an eye on his long term goal of Olympic inclusion and went to the opening of the London 2012 pool in Stratford last weekend.
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 6 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing