Hackney come up short against Grasshoppers
- Credit: Archant
Two tries from Matt Strong failed to prevent Hackney from going down 17-10 to Grasshoppers.
The Griffins remain sixth in the table but their hopes of recording back-to-back wins slipped through their fingers.
The home side exploited conditions and a slight slope advantage in the first half by running in two well-constructed tries through good link play between the backs and forwards.
Trailing 10-0 at the turnaround, Hackney’s territorial game improved, with half-backs Ed Clark and Andy Sprague regularly finding touch with excellent kicking. The visitors turned possession into points, and it was Strong who brought the scores level with two tries off the back of excellent drives by the forwards.
Tough conversions were missed on both occasions to leave the game in the balance at 10 points apiece and with both sides in search of the win, it was Grasshoppers who grabbed a third converted try.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney had the consolation of a losing bonus point at the final whistle, but will now be keen to reassert themselves among the chasing pack when they travel to table-toppers Welwyn on Saturday.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
- 10 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste