Hackney cruiserweight Okolie links up with new trainer McGuigan
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Lawrence Okolie, the Hackney cruiserweight who has won British and Commonwealth titles while based at various east London gyms, now heads across the capital to link up with new trainer Shane McGuigan in Battersea.
McGuigan, the son of former world champion Barry, has built a successful stable and on Saturday celebrated the world title triumph of his charge Josh Taylor in Glasgow.
And Shane tips the unbeaten Okolie to follow the same path as he predicts: "I think Lawrence will win a world title inside twelve months."
Former Rio Olympian Okolie left long-time coach Brian O'Shaughnessy to train under Barry Robinson just six months ago, but after adding two more wins, he has decided to move on.
You may also want to watch:
"I am excited to be working with Shane and looking forward to more title success," said the 26-year-old.
It could prove to be a fruitful partnership as Okolie looks to add a world title to his list of honours.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown