Hackney cruiserweight Okolie links up with new trainer McGuigan
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Lawrence Okolie, the Hackney cruiserweight who has won British and Commonwealth titles while based at various east London gyms, now heads across the capital to link up with new trainer Shane McGuigan in Battersea.
McGuigan, the son of former world champion Barry, has built a successful stable and on Saturday celebrated the world title triumph of his charge Josh Taylor in Glasgow.
And Shane tips the unbeaten Okolie to follow the same path as he predicts: "I think Lawrence will win a world title inside twelve months."
Former Rio Olympian Okolie left long-time coach Brian O'Shaughnessy to train under Barry Robinson just six months ago, but after adding two more wins, he has decided to move on.
You may also want to watch:
"I am excited to be working with Shane and looking forward to more title success," said the 26-year-old.
It could prove to be a fruitful partnership as Okolie looks to add a world title to his list of honours.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 9 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop