Hackney cruiserweight Okolie links up with new trainer McGuigan
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Lawrence Okolie, the Hackney cruiserweight who has won British and Commonwealth titles while based at various east London gyms, now heads across the capital to link up with new trainer Shane McGuigan in Battersea.
McGuigan, the son of former world champion Barry, has built a successful stable and on Saturday celebrated the world title triumph of his charge Josh Taylor in Glasgow.
And Shane tips the unbeaten Okolie to follow the same path as he predicts: "I think Lawrence will win a world title inside twelve months."
Former Rio Olympian Okolie left long-time coach Brian O'Shaughnessy to train under Barry Robinson just six months ago, but after adding two more wins, he has decided to move on.
You may also want to watch:
"I am excited to be working with Shane and looking forward to more title success," said the 26-year-old.
It could prove to be a fruitful partnership as Okolie looks to add a world title to his list of honours.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant