Okolie to face British champion Askin in September
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Stoke Newington cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie is set to face Matty Askin for the British title on September 22.
The fight is due to take place on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s defence of his world heavyweight titles against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium.
The bill is being put together by Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn and is also due to feature Luke Campbell’s bout against lightweight rivals Yvan Mendy of France.
In his last bout in June, Okolie added the Commonwealth title to his WBA continental strap with a third-round stoppage of the previously unbeaten Luke Watkins.
You may also want to watch:
That victory saw the 25-year-old make it nine wins from nine fights in the pro ranks, with seven of those victories coming by way of knockout.
Against Askin in September, Okolie will hope to make that 10 wins from 10 as he looks to continue claiming the ranks and put himself in contention for world title fights.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 3 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 10 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised