Okolie to face British champion Askin in September
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Stoke Newington cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie is set to face Matty Askin for the British title on September 22.
The fight is due to take place on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s defence of his world heavyweight titles against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium.
The bill is being put together by Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn and is also due to feature Luke Campbell’s bout against lightweight rivals Yvan Mendy of France.
In his last bout in June, Okolie added the Commonwealth title to his WBA continental strap with a third-round stoppage of the previously unbeaten Luke Watkins.
You may also want to watch:
That victory saw the 25-year-old make it nine wins from nine fights in the pro ranks, with seven of those victories coming by way of knockout.
Against Askin in September, Okolie will hope to make that 10 wins from 10 as he looks to continue claiming the ranks and put himself in contention for world title fights.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web