Okolie to face British champion Askin in September
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Stoke Newington cruiserweight Lawrence Okolie is set to face Matty Askin for the British title on September 22.
The fight is due to take place on the undercard of Anthony Joshua’s defence of his world heavyweight titles against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium.
The bill is being put together by Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn and is also due to feature Luke Campbell’s bout against lightweight rivals Yvan Mendy of France.
In his last bout in June, Okolie added the Commonwealth title to his WBA continental strap with a third-round stoppage of the previously unbeaten Luke Watkins.
You may also want to watch:
That victory saw the 25-year-old make it nine wins from nine fights in the pro ranks, with seven of those victories coming by way of knockout.
Against Askin in September, Okolie will hope to make that 10 wins from 10 as he looks to continue claiming the ranks and put himself in contention for world title fights.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12