Hackney double as two boxers claim titles
Lewis and Reid both win at novice championships
It was a double victory for two Hackney boxers at the London Senior Novice Championship finals at the Elmbridge Social Club, Hainault as both Boston Reid and Simon Lewis won respective titles.
First into the ring on Saturday was Homerton’s Reid, who had to box in a semi-final, whereas Hackney Wick’s Lewis was given a direct final.
It was hard to believe that Reid had not boxed for three years until last week, as he took control of his semi-final against Sands End BC’s A Kamakarrishnall from the start.
Reid was making his opponent box on the back foot, catching him with left jabs and right hooks to both head and body.
You may also want to watch:
In the final of the Class A 60kg, Reid had to negotiate a potentially dangerous opponent in Dale Youth BC’s Umar Khawaja, who had looked good in his semi-final win against Jeff Taylor from Eltham BC.
Instead, it was a contest Reid dominated by using his boxing skills by catching his opponent with left jabs and right hooks to both head and body and then slipping out of distance before Khawaja could land any of his own punches, winning his fight on a unanimous decision from all five judges.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 3 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 4 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 10 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
Hackney Wick’s Lewis joined Reid in the National quarter-finals, with a win over Josh Buatsi from South Norwood BC.
In what was four competitive rounds of boxing, it was the Hackney boxer that landed the better-scoring punches.
By winning the Class B under 81kg title, Lewis is now a double London Champion, having won the Class A contest at the same weight in last season’s competition.
The London v Southern Counties National Novice quarter-finals take place at the Felton College, Middlesex on November 26.