Hackney fighter wins comeback fight at York Hall
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO
Larry Ekundayo made it win number seven at York Hall on Saturday night with a points win over Bulgarian Samet Hyuseinov.
Having been out of the ring for 18 months to spend time with his daughter, who has responded well to her cancer treatment, ‘The Natural’ showed a few signs of ring rust in the first round with his timing slightly off as Hyuseinov started on the front foot – but as the round progressed, Ekundayo landed some solid left jabs and right crosses.
In the second Ekundayo stepped it up a gear, almost stopping the Bulgarian as he backed him up onto the ropes and caught him with a cluster of punches to the head and body.
With the referee set to stop the fight, Hyuseinov’s gum shield slipped out of his mouth and he was given time to recover and come out for the third.
Ekundayo showed his skills by switching to a southpaw stance throwing a succession of right-handed jabs and left hooks to Hyuseinov’s head.
You may also want to watch:
The Bulgarian managed to prevent a stoppage but for the remaining three rounds did little to threaten Ekundayo, who won by a convincing 60 points to 54.
Ekundayo said: “It’s great to be back in the ring again, I have a good team around me and overall I was pleased with my performance.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
“My opponent wanted it initially but once I hurt him in the second round he lost heart and went on the defensive.”