Hackney fighter wins comeback fight at York Hall
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGSPHOTO
Larry Ekundayo made it win number seven at York Hall on Saturday night with a points win over Bulgarian Samet Hyuseinov.
Having been out of the ring for 18 months to spend time with his daughter, who has responded well to her cancer treatment, ‘The Natural’ showed a few signs of ring rust in the first round with his timing slightly off as Hyuseinov started on the front foot – but as the round progressed, Ekundayo landed some solid left jabs and right crosses.
In the second Ekundayo stepped it up a gear, almost stopping the Bulgarian as he backed him up onto the ropes and caught him with a cluster of punches to the head and body.
With the referee set to stop the fight, Hyuseinov’s gum shield slipped out of his mouth and he was given time to recover and come out for the third.
Ekundayo showed his skills by switching to a southpaw stance throwing a succession of right-handed jabs and left hooks to Hyuseinov’s head.
The Bulgarian managed to prevent a stoppage but for the remaining three rounds did little to threaten Ekundayo, who won by a convincing 60 points to 54.
Ekundayo said: “It’s great to be back in the ring again, I have a good team around me and overall I was pleased with my performance.
- 1 Hackney strip bar could lose license after breaching Covid rules
- 2 Teenager charged after Jewish men attacked in Stamford Hill
- 3 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 4 More details emerge on antisemitic attack in Stamford Hill
- 5 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 6 Hackney mum and brain tumour patient to walk for charity dressed as duck
- 7 'Nail-biting situation': Hundreds of Homerton's staff at risk of dismissal over Covid vaccines
- 8 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 9 Afghan refugee family rehomed in Hackney
- 10 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
“My opponent wanted it initially but once I hurt him in the second round he lost heart and went on the defensive.”