Hackney gold medallist earns GB call-up for Commonwealth Championships
- Credit: Archant
Bozdag Taekwondo left their mark on the British Championships with a haul of four medals – and further success on the international stage could be on the cards for one of the club’s junior competitors.
Tolga Gunes won gold in the cadets male novice category at the Manchester Velodrome, before receiving a call-up to represent Great Britain at the Commonwealth Taekwondo Championships in Scotland in November.
“It’s exciting. It’s just to see how far I can get really,” said 12-year-old Gunes, who attends Central Academy.
The call-up caps an impressive weekend for the Kingsland Road club, who are based between Hoxton and Shoreditch, as they also claimed two silvers and one bronze in a field of over 700.
Onur Kartal and Maiwand Abdulwahab won silvers at the event and bronze went to Kerim Copeland in the Korean martial art.
You may also want to watch:
“It is great [the medal haul] and we’ve got one of the kids who has been selected for Great Britain in the Commonwealth Games,” said the club’s owner and coach, Seyit Bozdag.
“They’re going to go through a lot of physical training, so we’ll be pushing, pushing for the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games – that’s the target at the moment.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
“We’ve been established since 1997 and we’ve taught quite a lot of kids.”
For more information on Bozdag, visit http://www.bozdag-taekwondo.com/ or call 020 7033 4660.