Hackney gold medallist earns GB call-up for Commonwealth Championships
- Credit: Archant
Bozdag Taekwondo left their mark on the British Championships with a haul of four medals – and further success on the international stage could be on the cards for one of the club’s junior competitors.
Tolga Gunes won gold in the cadets male novice category at the Manchester Velodrome, before receiving a call-up to represent Great Britain at the Commonwealth Taekwondo Championships in Scotland in November.
“It’s exciting. It’s just to see how far I can get really,” said 12-year-old Gunes, who attends Central Academy.
The call-up caps an impressive weekend for the Kingsland Road club, who are based between Hoxton and Shoreditch, as they also claimed two silvers and one bronze in a field of over 700.
Onur Kartal and Maiwand Abdulwahab won silvers at the event and bronze went to Kerim Copeland in the Korean martial art.
You may also want to watch:
“It is great [the medal haul] and we’ve got one of the kids who has been selected for Great Britain in the Commonwealth Games,” said the club’s owner and coach, Seyit Bozdag.
“They’re going to go through a lot of physical training, so we’ll be pushing, pushing for the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games – that’s the target at the moment.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
“We’ve been established since 1997 and we’ve taught quite a lot of kids.”
For more information on Bozdag, visit http://www.bozdag-taekwondo.com/ or call 020 7033 4660.