Hackney schoolchildren try a taster session at Tri-Golf Festival to promote activity
- Credit: Archant
Vibrant Partnerships and Lee Valley Regional Park Authority joined forces with Hackney Council and The Golf Foundation to host a Tri-Golf Skills Festival for local schoolchildren.
Hosted at Queensbridge Sport & Community Centre, more than 80 local youngsters had the chance to enjoy a fun, exciting introduction to the sport led by qualified PGA coaches.
The Tri-Golf Skills Festival teed off with groups of children tackling eight different games that highlighted various sporting skills and techniques.
As well as an introduction to golf itself, the enthusiastic youngsters also benefited from the opportunity to build vital life skills such as respect, teamwork and co-operation.
Designed for children of all abilities that would not normally have access to the sport, the initiative aims to give children and young people opportunities to experience golf and its benefits.
You may also want to watch:
The successful event is to be the first of many that offer skills development – both sporting and social – to young people within the borough of Hackney.
Sessions will be introduced at Lee Valley Golf Course to allow more children to get a taster of the sport, whilst local schools will be provided with the training and resources to enable teachers, coaches and volunteers to spread the programme knowledge within the community.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 10 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
James Hetherington, Golf manager at Vibrant Partnerships, said: “Vibrant Partnerships and Lee Valley Regional Park Authority were delighted to support the London Borough of Hackney Council’s Tri-Golf Festival.
“It’s vital for children to have access and engage in new sporting activities that they may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience.
“We hope this is just a first of many golfing events in and around the borough.”
Daisy Brierley, from the Golf Foundation, added: “It is great that Hackney delivered a successful Tri-Golf Skills Festival, and with the support from Lee Valley this event was a memorable day for the young people taking part.
“With few golf facilities in the local area it was a fantastic opportunity to showcase the sport and what it has to offer all ages.”