Hackney Jurassic win FA People’s Cup
- Credit: Jon Super for The FA
Hackney Jurassic were crowned FA People’s Cup Female Veterans champions this weekend after a thrilling day of football at St. George’s Park.
Hackney Jurassic, who won two regional qualifiers in February and March to reach the tournament, beat Endcliffe Jokers 1-0 in a tense final to become national champions.
Francesca Calieti, scorer of the winning goal for Hackney Jurassic said, “It’s really emotional.
“Last year we had a few setbacks and a couple of really bad injuries.
“Our captain broke her leg and other members of the team couldn’t make it for other reasons.
You may also want to watch:
“We were focused on coming back and winning it again, not just for us, but for those that couldn’t make it.”
Over 5,000 teams took part in The FA People’s Cup this season with more than 27,000 participants playing across 15 categories.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
Hackney Jurassic will now be preparing for a special day at the Emirates FA Cup final between Manchester City and Watford on 18 May, where they will lift their FA People’s Cup trophy on the hallowed Wembley Stadium turf at half-time.