Hackney Jurassic win FA People’s Cup
- Credit: Jon Super for The FA
Hackney Jurassic were crowned FA People’s Cup Female Veterans champions this weekend after a thrilling day of football at St. George’s Park.
Hackney Jurassic, who won two regional qualifiers in February and March to reach the tournament, beat Endcliffe Jokers 1-0 in a tense final to become national champions.
Francesca Calieti, scorer of the winning goal for Hackney Jurassic said, “It’s really emotional.
“Last year we had a few setbacks and a couple of really bad injuries.
“Our captain broke her leg and other members of the team couldn’t make it for other reasons.
You may also want to watch:
“We were focused on coming back and winning it again, not just for us, but for those that couldn’t make it.”
Over 5,000 teams took part in The FA People’s Cup this season with more than 27,000 participants playing across 15 categories.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Downs anti-vax camp cost £50,000 to remove
- 3 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 4 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 5 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 6 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 7 Mosaic unveiled near Finsbury Park station entrance at City North
- 8 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 9 Hackney people called on to help 'stamp out' violence against women and girls
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
Hackney Jurassic will now be preparing for a special day at the Emirates FA Cup final between Manchester City and Watford on 18 May, where they will lift their FA People’s Cup trophy on the hallowed Wembley Stadium turf at half-time.