Hackney player hopes to make an impact on Great Britain team
- Credit: Archant
Former London Lions player Orlan Jackman has been called up to the Great Britain men’s basketball squad for the forthcoming Euro Basket competition in Slovenia.
The 25-year-old, who attended Homerton College of Technology, could line up for GB when the competition tips-off on September 4 – but he is currently concentrating on making his international debut a little closer to home this weekend.
“On Sunday we’ll be playing down the road from me at the Copper Box Arena, which is one stop on the train from me,” said Jackman, who trains at Clissold Park Leisure Centre.
In the absence of NBA stars Luol Deng and Joel Freeland through illness and league development reasons respectively, Jackman has the opportunity to make an impact – but he has simpler aspirations to begin with.
“My personal expectation is that I want to play,” he said. “I’m just glad I’ve been selected. I’m training hard, so when we get to the training camp I’m giving myself the best opportunity to get selected and get to play in the Euro Basket.
“There’s a few guys born after me [in the squad], which is always a good thing, but everybody plays at a high level so I’m not letting age play a major factor.”
Jackman began his basketball career with Hackney White Heat, before graduating to the Lions, but he now faces a fresh challenge with his new club Iserlohn in Germany.
- 1 'Catastrophic consequences': Thousands of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 8 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 9 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 10 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
“I signed last week,” he said. “That’s something that I’ve always wanted to happen. I’m just glad I’m going to get the chance to do some of the stuff that I’ve always wanted to do.”