Hackney RFC capture cup

Hackney end the season on a high with Cheshunt win

Hackney II 32 Cheshunt III 7

Hackney Seconds captured the Merts/Misddlesex Division Five Cup after an impressive win over Cheshunt.

The east London started well and showed good hands, interplay between backs and forwards and Cheshunt found themselves on their 22 illegally killing the ball in an effort to stem the tide - Penalty.

Mike Fanning stepped up confidently and slotted a great kick from wide out left.

You may also want to watch:

After winning the ball back, Arif Saad showed great gas to get on the outside of his winger and Hackney were back up in the opposition 22. Some scramble defence saw the ball momentarily lying stationary and exposed on the ground, Cheshunt rushing to claim it knocked on and a Hackney scrum resulted.

Fanning then extended Hackney’s lead with an impressive run to put the east Londoners 13 points up, two minutes before the interval.

Most Read

Hackney were not done though and recently converted No 8 Uzo stepped up to the plate with another barn storming run and try.

Half time brought substitutions and pleas to maintain the same focus for the next 40 minutes, but Cheshunt fought back and crossed the line for a deserved score.

The Hackney back-line, threw off the shackles of defensive duty and attacked with style as Fanning again ran in under the posts. Hackney’s RFC’s top try scorer Uzo crossed after 80 minutes to add the final word to a brilliant season for Hackney.

Hackney: Mills, Gray, Harris, Huxley, Young, Kaoud, Watkins, Uzo , Hearn, Fanning, Saad, Tivoi, Varamasi, Armstrong, Cox. Replacements: Koay, Pughe, Holgate.

Hackney Thirds also took part in the Division Five Cup final but were narrowly beaten 20-15 by Welwyn.

Hackney looked dangerous from the start, going forward with great confidence and ability across the field. Their brave ambitious play created many openings but they only succeeded in scoring twice, one penalty and a try by Will Roberts.

From a line out the Welwyn mauling machine was set in motion, the opposing pack powerless, despite rigorous efforts, to stop it, eventually a hefty chunk of the machine peeled off crashing over the try line giving Welwyn some hope for the second half.

After the break the Gogs returned to their previous form, showing their superiority across the field. The Welwyn side looked as inert as a garden suburb. A majestic line of running by John Chung cut open the defence, great support play by Henry Williams put him over near the sticks.

After scoring twice Welwyn looked a different side playing cleverly to their strengths, slowing the game down and keeping possession. Hackney’s opportunities became increasingly rare. The game stopped and started, the Gogs momentum and pace continually disrupted by bad handling, injury, Welwyn’s renewed determination and the whistle.

The final whistle blew on a day that reflected Hackney three’s season, great promise, great talent and endeavour thwarted by big boy tactics.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter