Athletics: Volunteers clean up Hackney during ‘Plogolution’ event
- Credit: Archant
A group of volunteers joined forces at a ‘Plogolution’ event around Hackney, writes Emdad Rahman.
The two-mile trot and 5k run began at Victoria Park and finished at Hackney Town Hall, with ‘Plog’ being a Swedish word which translates as running while picking up rubbish.
Plogolution is managed by Dermot Kavanagh and Michelle Parkes to support and encourage fit and happy communities.
“This is about dedication to protecting the environment so we can be proud to hand our planet down to future generations,” they said.
“We arrange regular ‘plogs’ which are run/walk and rubbish pick-ups around London and we also help to keep rubbish from entering our rivers, while raising endorphin levels at the same time.”
You may also want to watch:
The next Plog will take place in Clapham on December 9. For more details see plogolution.com.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 9 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 10 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton