Hackney Wick 3 Southend Manor 2: Wickers down Manor in five-goal thriller
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick 3 Southend Manor 2
Hackney Wick collected a morale-boosting 3-2 win at home to Southend Manor in the Essex Senior League.
Despite the final score, the Wickers nearly fell behind early on when Manor were awarded a penalty, but keeper Martin Arnauchkov produced a fine save.
The hosts made the most of their let off, with Joel Appiah soon heading them ahead with the opening goal.
Hackney doubled their advantage just before half time when Hassan Nalbant produced an expert finish, with Wick 2-0 up at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The Wickers then netted a third midway through the second half when Tony Cookey shrugged off a defender, before teeing up Nalbant for a second.
Manor, though, were able to pull one back as they made the most of a defensive mix up.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
And Hackney’s lead was cut to one in the closing moments as Manor looked to be launching a late comeback.
However, the whistle went before Manor could find an equaliser, as the Wickers picked up a superb triumph.