Hackney Wick 3 Southend Manor 2: Wickers down Manor in five-goal thriller
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Hackney Wick 3 Southend Manor 2
Hackney Wick collected a morale-boosting 3-2 win at home to Southend Manor in the Essex Senior League.
Despite the final score, the Wickers nearly fell behind early on when Manor were awarded a penalty, but keeper Martin Arnauchkov produced a fine save.
The hosts made the most of their let off, with Joel Appiah soon heading them ahead with the opening goal.
Hackney doubled their advantage just before half time when Hassan Nalbant produced an expert finish, with Wick 2-0 up at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The Wickers then netted a third midway through the second half when Tony Cookey shrugged off a defender, before teeing up Nalbant for a second.
Manor, though, were able to pull one back as they made the most of a defensive mix up.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 9 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
And Hackney’s lead was cut to one in the closing moments as Manor looked to be launching a late comeback.
However, the whistle went before Manor could find an equaliser, as the Wickers picked up a superb triumph.