Hendry heals Wounded Knee in cup tussle with Birkbeck Orient
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Laud Hendry struck an extra-time winner as Wounded Knee came from behind to beat Birkbeck Orient 2-1 and avoid an upset in the Jack Walpole Cup.
Mike Long gave the Hackney & Leyton League Division Three leaders a shock first-half lead in a tight game, but Robert Evans equalised to force extra time and Hendry’s goal in the second half sent Knee into the third round.
Babs Sambe scored twice, with Ike Mbom also on target as Division One side Highfield edged out NLMFC 3-2, despite goals from Shabbir Ahmed Patel and Ismail Gajia.
Black Meteors also progressed to the next round with a 5-1 victory over Red Devils. Kofi Appiah netted a brace, with Richard Owusu, Jimmy Krah and Jose Agua also on the scoresheet and Stanley Salmon replying for the Devils.
n Sam Jones and Sam Velody both scored twice to clinch a 5-1 win for Top Red against fellow Division Four side Leyton Manor in the Hackney & Leyton Junior Cup first round.
You may also want to watch:
Freddie Williams completed the scoring for Red, while Daniel Torres hit Leyton’s consolation goal.
Patrick Fitzpatrick and Lee Brown gave Division Four leaders Maynell a 2-0 half-time lead in their tie against Haggerston, but they were pegged back by Peter Moncur’s goal soon after the restart.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
However, further goals from Terry Brown and Daniel Monero and Lee Brown’s second of the game, a diving header, were enough to seal a 5-1 victory for Maynell.
Bradley Carter rattled in four goals as Wojack thrashed Wenlock Arms 9-1, with Danfo Brown, Liam Smith, Ian Bruce, Lee Hall and Jason Rowe also finding the net. Karl O’Flaherty replied for Wenlock.
Jay Knight and Sultan Abbas were on the mark for Delta Athletic as they edged out FC Duchess 2-1, with Stephen Luc registering the Duchess goal.
n Bartlett FC stretched their lead at the top of the Premier Division to five points with a 4-1 victory over Albion Manor.
Bartlett’s goals came from Tom Wilcox-Jones, Michael Williams, Vincent Williams and Nze Onyekwelui, while Daniel William replied for Manor.
Maxs Volosin netted two of the goals for Niva-Unistream as they climbed to second place by defeating RL United 4-1. Antony White was on the mark for United.
Daniel Cassidy’s double helped Mustard FC to a 3-1 win over Tottenham Phoenix that keeps them fourth in the table. Ben Kerry scored Mustard’s third goal, while Mesiah Odimna replied for Phoenix.
n Dynamics FC missed their opportunity to take over top spot in Division One as they went down 4-2 to Newcresse.
Tope Olateju and Dennis Birch scored two goals apiece for Newcresse, with Dynamics replying through Emrah Coskungonul and Edward Abrow.
n Alfie Andrews hit four goals for The Prince of Bow as they routed East London 6-1 in Division Three. John Cutts and Steve O’Reilly also scored, with Mus Cilick on the mark for East London.