Homerton fighter happy with Matchroom move
- Credit: Archant
Unbeaten Homerton lightweight Ohara Davies is relishing the prospect on fighting at the O2 Arena on Saturday October 11.
The 22-year-old was previously coached by Tunde Ajayi at the Peacock gym and won his two professional fights at York Hall against Ivans Levickis and Kristian Dochev.
Davies has since left promoter Steve Goodwin to sign for Eddie Hearn and is now being training at the new Matchroom gym in Brentwood, under the tutelage of Tony Sims.
Davies said: “It is a big step up for me training with Tony Sims and signing with Matchroom. I’ve been sparring Ricky Burns, a double world champion, and with Kevin Mitchell and Martin Ward – this is a special place to learn my trade.”
Davies’ opponent has yet to be announced but the show will be headlined by Olympic gold medal winner Anthony Joshua and will also feature Islington’s John Ryder.
You may also want to watch:
Former Repton fighter Ben Hall and Philip Bowes from Leytonstone are also on the undercard.
Pedro ABC have been presented with a minibus by the Royal Variety Club of Great Britain and are holding a fundraising event on Monday to pay for the insurance premium.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
Donations can be made by buying a ticket for the event, priced at £30, which includes a buffet, drinks and entertainment between 3pm and 8pm at the club, which is located on Rushmore Road, Clapton.
The club will be entering three boxers in the north east London senior novice divisional finals, which will take place at Five Star ABC, Harold Hill, on Saturday from noon.
They are Celal Ozturk (Under-67kg), John Ajaya (Under-69kg) and Carl Mbombo (Under-71kg).
Lion ABC will be entering 24-year-old Gem Cheal in the class B contests in the Under-81kg weight division.