Homerton fighter happy with Matchroom move
- Credit: Archant
Unbeaten Homerton lightweight Ohara Davies is relishing the prospect on fighting at the O2 Arena on Saturday October 11.
The 22-year-old was previously coached by Tunde Ajayi at the Peacock gym and won his two professional fights at York Hall against Ivans Levickis and Kristian Dochev.
Davies has since left promoter Steve Goodwin to sign for Eddie Hearn and is now being training at the new Matchroom gym in Brentwood, under the tutelage of Tony Sims.
Davies said: “It is a big step up for me training with Tony Sims and signing with Matchroom. I’ve been sparring Ricky Burns, a double world champion, and with Kevin Mitchell and Martin Ward – this is a special place to learn my trade.”
Davies’ opponent has yet to be announced but the show will be headlined by Olympic gold medal winner Anthony Joshua and will also feature Islington’s John Ryder.
You may also want to watch:
Former Repton fighter Ben Hall and Philip Bowes from Leytonstone are also on the undercard.
Pedro ABC have been presented with a minibus by the Royal Variety Club of Great Britain and are holding a fundraising event on Monday to pay for the insurance premium.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
Donations can be made by buying a ticket for the event, priced at £30, which includes a buffet, drinks and entertainment between 3pm and 8pm at the club, which is located on Rushmore Road, Clapton.
The club will be entering three boxers in the north east London senior novice divisional finals, which will take place at Five Star ABC, Harold Hill, on Saturday from noon.
They are Celal Ozturk (Under-67kg), John Ajaya (Under-69kg) and Carl Mbombo (Under-71kg).
Lion ABC will be entering 24-year-old Gem Cheal in the class B contests in the Under-81kg weight division.